Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Harmony HRR 216 drive doesn't engage

OH

05-05-12, 01:41 PM   #1  
Honda Harmony HRR 216 drive doesn't engage

I think it is just a cable adjustment but don't see how to do it. I do not have the shop manual. If I pull on the cable to make it taught the drive engages.

Anyone know how to adjust this thing?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-05-12, 08:45 PM   #2  
As I recall, down where the cable ends at the mower deck, there should be adjustment nuts on the end of the cable so you can tighten or loosen the cable.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OH

05-06-12, 03:23 AM   #3  
Not on mine, the cable goes through the deck. Looking from the underside of the deck it doesn't seems accessible either.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-06-12, 11:12 AM   #4  
Okay, not on yours? Apparently yours does not take the same cable all the other HR216s take?

It is accessible, you have to remove the cover to get to it. Think how would you change it when it goes bad.

God bless!

OH

05-06-12, 03:20 PM   #5  
Don't know what to say, I bought it used, maybe it was modified but it looks stock. I took a picture but found it to large to upload. Taking off the deck looks a major project. For the time being I will jerry rig the cable to it acts like it is shorter. I appreciate the input.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-06-12, 03:23 PM   #6  
You don't have to take the deck off. Follow the cable to the deck. When you do, you will see the adjustment nuts just before the cable enters the deck. It would be better to fix it rather than rig it, especially since the fix is pretty easy. Look at this picture to see what to look for.
http://powerequipment.honda.com/cont...ble_Adjust.gif

God bless!

OH

05-06-12, 04:27 PM   #7  
The picture is great and very helpful. My cable drops drops beneath the deck with the turnbuckle showing. Maybe it is there, under the deck, I'll try pulling the cable to see if it is.

Thanks again for the picture.

OH

05-06-12, 04:31 PM   #8  
I just checked, there's no slack in the cable, if there's a turnbuckle it isn't coming on the surface. My guess is that the cable is a generic replacement.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-06-12, 05:34 PM   #9  
Okay, the only other possibility is the adjuster nuts at the end of the cable. You'll have to see the actual end of the cable to see if it has them. All hondas I've seen that I recall have either the turnbuckle type adjustment or the movable position nuts at the end of the cable where it mounts. If you just can't find it or don't want to, there is a cheap trick you can do... take the cable off at the handle end and tie a knot in it. The knot will pull a bit of cable so it will be tighter.

God bless!

OH

05-07-12, 03:49 AM   #10  
I tried something a little different that worked. The cable terminates into a coiled spring attached to the deadman control. I removed the spring so I could get slack, put a small screw into the spring and re-attached everything. The small screw reduced the cables travel just enough so it now works perfectly.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-07-12, 09:56 AM   #11  
That'll work. Glad you found a solution. I was looking at cables for HRR216s and found one option that has no adjustment, so I'm wrong about all of them having adjustments. Sounds like yours is one of them. If so, sorry for insisting it had an adjustment. Apparently there are a few cable options depending on which frame serial numbers it has.

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-07-12, 01:05 PM   #12  
I was looking at cables for HRR216s and found one option that has no adjustment, so I'm wrong about all of them having adjustments.
I just posted on another honda cable issue....however :P I said "I think most all honda cables have adjustments...."whew

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-07-12, 06:44 PM   #13  
I just posted on another honda cable issue....however :P I said "I think most all honda cables have adjustments...."whew
Yeah... it sucks being wrong... or so I hear

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-07-12, 06:57 PM   #14  
LOL, I thought I was once....but I was mistaken

Peace

OH

05-10-12, 01:08 PM   #15  
More to the story

The drive worked great for two days and now it's operation is intermittent. Nothing has changed that I can tell. I am wondering if there is serious slippage in the drive belt or if something in the mechanics of the drive mechanism that can interfere with its operation.

I presume I will have to take the engine off to see what's going on ;-(

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-10-12, 05:00 PM   #16  
The cable terminates into a coiled spring attached to the deadman control.
I think this is not the drive cable but the flywheel brake cable??? Are we still talking about the "drive" as the problem?

If it is the drive as the problem, removing the engine will not gain you access to the tranny. You will need to scrape and clean the under side of the mower deck and find the cover screws to remove the covers.

You can find a way to secure the handle to floor level while you work under the deck and should be ok.

Peace

OH

05-10-12, 05:22 PM   #17  
Forgive my ignorance, I apparently misspoke. The cable I shortened is the one you call the flywheel brake. The underside of the mower deck is exposed, there is no cover to remove to see what I expect is the tranny. I bought this used, maybe someone worked on it and never replace this cover.
This cable terminates in a coiled spring at the handle. Previously all I had to do was pull down on the spring and the mower would drive forward. The I shortened the cable by putting a screw inside the coil and then acted like I shortened the cable and it ran fine. Today it worked intermittently and finally stopped all together. If the brake is stuck what can I do to release it?

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-10-12, 05:35 PM   #18  
If the cable you shortened is indeed the flywheel brake cable, it should have nothing to do with the drive/self propel.

If the covers are gone or removed you should be able to see the belt coming off a pulley above the blade and back to the tranny. You can secure the mower (Remove the spark plug wire for safety) as I described above, pull and clamp the drive handle and check tension on the belt. Hold the blade and try to pull the belt around. Also inspect the belt for glazing and other damage.

Peace

OH

05-10-12, 05:40 PM   #19  
OK I had turned the mower on its side several times. I can see the belt. If the belt does need replacement can you give me an idea of how it is done?

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-10-12, 05:55 PM   #20  
Don't turn it on it's side, but lower the handle and secure it.

I would have to look up a drawing to give accurate advice, even then, it is kinda of a look n see. Some others here may have done enough to know from memory but I have found so many variations on these Honda's that I can't say for sure.
Likely have to remove a belt keeper on the transmission pulley to get old off and new on, might be one on the crank pulley as well.

I would check the belt first and make sure the cable is doing its job also before getting too deep into the belt since it is intermittent. My experience has been the cables stretch (thus cable adjustments on most) before the belts give out. Still likely the belt would be easy to change should you need to replace the cable so I would recommend doing both if one is the problem.

Peace

OH

05-11-12, 05:57 PM   #21  
Well the problem is no longer intermittent. It completely fails now. I looked underneath, looking at the belt, it appears OK to me. I manually rotated the blade and watched the belt move w/o slippage.
I guess I have to take it to a shop as I cannot even tell how I would change the belt if it is the problem.

Thanks to everyone for trying to help and offering suggestions.

OH

05-12-12, 07:14 AM   #22  
Transmission doesn't engage- no forward drive possible

There was a perfect blanket of grass covering inside of the deck. Once it was cleaned I saw the bolts to remove a cover exposing tranny and belt. There is no spring tension on the drive clutch lever. It will stay in any position. I can move the lever at the tranny with a finger, there is no resistance. The mower is currently on its side, the tranny is still in the mower.

Does this mean that something internal to the tranny broke apart? Does anyone think this is repairable or does the tranny need replacement?

IL

06-14-14, 11:08 AM   #23  
From a fishermans point of view. I was pretty sure my problem with the drive control cable was the slack I could see at the handle end. I took the bracket that holds all the control cables and took out the bolt that holds it to the handle. This gave me enough play to unhook the spring from the handle. The spring is tapered at the cable end and a ball is molded at the end to hold the cable inside the spring. I took a fishermans lead split shot about the same size as the ball and pinched it on the cable just above the end ball. This was just enough (About 1/4") to snug up the cable after reassembleing the cable bracket. Only took 10 or 15 minutes. Works fine now.

OH

04-26-16, 11:25 PM   #24  
self propelled problems on Honda HRR216

I've read all these old posts. I'm having the same problem as the original poster. It was funny the guy who insisted there was a way to tighten the cable like you would a bike brake cable. He just had a different model than the poster, as I have no adjustment on mine, either. Mine is the HRR216K3TDA. And the original poster is having the same exact problem I am. I could relate when he said that the little lever that engages the drive, you can pull it back and forth with your finger. When you pull the drive engage lever it's real mushy and there is no spring back, it just stays there close to the handle.

I know this is old, but if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

Search this Thread