Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Echo 260S Stalling problem

WA

05-07-12, 09:08 AM   #1  
Echo 260S Stalling problem

Just put a new plug, fuel filter, air filter and replaced the carb on my Echo 260S and now it starts, runs great for a few minutes then it loses power like it's not getting fuel and eventually will only idle. I shut it down, fule purge it using the push plunger purge button on the carb, restart and go through the same cycle again. The only thing that seems to keep it running is to tip it on it's side. Fuel line leak? Vacume leak between carb and manifold? Any thoughts would be appreciated..

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

05-07-12, 09:13 AM   #2  
Try loosening the gas cap and see if that helps. Also look inside the tank to see that the fuel pickup is free to move and is at the bottom of the tank.

WA

05-07-12, 09:23 AM   #3  
The fuel pickup was the first thing I thought of... so I made sure to top off the tank and pull it out and check the connection to the new filter... didn't try loosening up the fuel cap. If that (loosening the cap) works, what's the problem?

Group Moderator

NC

05-07-12, 09:35 AM   #4  
If the vent in the cap is stuck it does not allow air to enter as fuel is consumed. The engine will run for a while but eventually the vacuum in the tank becomes too strong and the carb/fuel pump can no longer draw fuel.

WA

05-09-12, 07:48 PM   #5  
Loosening the cap instantly restored the engine to full power, as did removing the fuel vent from the vent line. I cleaned then sucked on the vent valve....some air flow, but not totally free. Should I just replace it?

While watching the fuel lines I noticed that the fuel is really being agitated in the tank when the engine is at full RPM .. is this normal?

Thanks all!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-09-12, 08:50 PM   #6  
Yep, it's normal for the fuel to churn. Cleaning the vent should be sufficient.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread