Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawnmower blades

CANADA

05-13-12, 05:32 AM   #1  
Lawnmower blades

Just put a new blade on my gas push mower last fall, so it's still pretty new. Didn't use it much before I had to put it away for the winter.

Noticed when I took it out of the packaging that the thing isn't terribly sharp. Noticed this when I put the one prior to that on as well.

Is this standard for some reason? I have no clue.

Is there a reason why I shouldn't take the blade, clamp it and use my angle grinder to hone the thing to a razor edge?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

AZ

05-13-12, 05:43 AM   #2  
A razor edge will chip, dent, and dull more quickly than the relatively high angle of the new blade. You want to keep the same as the factory angle. Don't bevel the flat side.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

CANADA

05-13-12, 05:46 AM   #3  
Thanks Gunguy! So, I can sharpen it a bit though? Yep, I won't touch the flat side. It just seems at this point, it's not even as sharp as a butter knife. Maybe this is how they're supposed to be.

Super Moderator

AZ

05-13-12, 06:02 AM   #4  
Thats how it's supposed to be. Remember...you aren't using the blade like a kitchen knife dicing carrots. It's whirling around under the deck at 3000 rpm or so. If you could move a butter knife that fast it would probably dice carrots just fine.

Thats one reason they say you should run your mower near max engine rpm and adjust the speed of movement using the transmission (if it has one).

Vic

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-13-12, 06:05 AM   #5  
How often are you changing your blade? I sharpen my blade at every oil change and typically get about 10 yrs out of a blade [it may have been 5yrs when I lived in fla] I usually grind a decent edge [not razor sharp] but try to follow the factory angle.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

CANADA

05-13-12, 06:13 AM   #6  
We live in Canada in an area with extreme temperatures in the summer and winter, so rocks are getting continually pushed up from the ground. I try and grab as many of them as I can before mowing, but inevitably you miss some. Thus the blades get nicked/beaten up over time.

I've had the mower for about 4 years now I guess? I've changed the blade a couple of times.

Thanks for the advice guys. Maybe I'll just leave the blade alone for now. It's almost new, so I'm sure it's probably just fine. I think I was just getting excited about turning it into a Samurai sword, but that's not necessary.

Super Moderator

AZ

05-13-12, 06:40 AM   #7  
What I did back in VA (when I had a lawn...lol) was just buy an extra blade. During the heavy mowing times....I would normally swap the blades about twice a season. I'd scrape all the grass and such off and wash the underside of the deck, spray it with cooking spray, blow out the air filter and swap the blade. 5 min with a file (normally) on the one I just removed, then hang it back on the wall ready for the next change.

Vic

Search this Thread