Sears lawn tractor transaxle problem.

Old 07-23-02, 07:11 PM
Ben in Houston
Visiting Guest
Sears lawn tractor transaxle problem.

I am at my witts end with this problem. I've got a Sears DLT, 46" deck, 25hp motor, hydrogear transaxle lawn tractor. It started when I was mowing and hit a low stump (didn't see it). I slammed into it pretty hard and the mower came to an abrupt stop and refused to move after that.

Further inspection revealed that the drive belt had jumped off of the transaxle pulley. Putting it back on didn't seem to fix the issue and I could see/verify that the drive pulley was turning the belt and transaxle pulley. So I dropped the transmission and pulled it apart. Everything seemed to be fine inside. The input shaft splines, where the pulley mounts, are fine and seat well on the pulley. The axles turned fine, no broken key ways on the axles, and everything from the output shaft to the axles turned and mated well.

On a hunch I replaced the center section, where the bypass valve is inside the transaxle, as well as the external drive belt. I put it all back together with 2 quarts of Penzoil 20w-50 and bolted it all back in. I stringently followed the manual directions to a T on purging the transmission of air and the wheels STILL don't turn! I can get under the transaxle and, again, verify that the drive pulley is indeed turning the belt, which is indeed turning the input shaft of the transaxle (can see the pulley and fan turning).

Any help before I throw in the towel?

I'm not mechanically illiterate as I have a hot-rod car as well, so it's frustrating me to no end that I can build and maintain a 500+ rwhp hot-rod, but not a 25hp lawn tractor!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Old 07-23-02, 08:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Ben!

I want to start with a simple question, and I hope it doesn't offend you, but it must be asked. Are you sure that both axle keys are in the axles? The ones that go between the rims and axles, to keep the axle from turning without the wheel turning. Also, is there any way that the bypass valve is hung in the open position, externally, by the linkage? Do the wheels try to turn with the rear of the mower jacked up off the ground? Check to be sure the linkage from the forward/reverse lever is connected and moving the shaft into the transaxle also. If you don't find the problem with these suggestions, let us know.

Old 07-24-02, 07:12 AM
Ben in Houston
Visiting Guest
I'm certainly not offended at checking the simple stuff because at this point I'm praying it's something simple. I forgot to mention above that this is a 2000 or a 2001 year model. I don't remember which.

As for the keyways, yes they are both engaged in each axle. The bypass valve isn't being hung open by the external linkage. I've made sure it's free and clear of any obstructions.The wheels do not turn when the rear of the mower is jacked up off of the ground. The linkage for forward/reverse is quadrupple checked and is connected from the lever that the driver uses directly to the external arm on the transaxle which is in turn bolted to the shaft on the transaxle.

The only guess I have at this point (again trying to think that it's something simple) is that I only put in 2 quarts of 20w-50 oil, and I read SOMEWHERE that these transmissions take 2.5 quarts. I know I had a similar situation on my hot-rod where it was a quart low on ATF and there wasn't enough fluid to completely engage the torque converter. So I'm hoping/praying/wishing/dreaming that this could be the issue.

The problem with all of this is that NOBODY will allow me to have/see the service manual for thies transaxle. Sears won't repair them, they only replace them and Hydro-Gear Inc encourages full replacement instead of repair.

I'm certainly open to any other suggestions you may have.

Old 07-24-02, 09:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What's the full model # of the tractor? The first three digits of the model number before the period are the vendor source.

It's like Murray/Noma or someone like that. You might find out who makes it (post the # here) and then contact them.

I did that with an old toolbox. I found out Waterloo Industries was (in 1960) and is (now) Sears vendor for toolboxes. When I contacted them, they were quite suprised at the age of my toolbox but were quite helpful in getting me the parts I needed.

They were pretty shocked when I sent them before and after pictures...so was Sears, as they put me in the March 2002 Craftsman newsletter .

Old 07-24-02, 04:02 PM
Ben in Houston
Visiting Guest
The tractor model # is 917.272201, the transaxle model number is 314-0510. I know the vendor for the transaxle is Hydro-Gear, www.hydro-gear.com and basically all I was able to get out of them is who their authorized distributors are in my area.

Old 07-24-02, 07:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you disassembled the case, did you look at the pump and the input shaft in the pump, to make sure that no keyways were sheared, gears stripped, ect...? Does the unit have an external filter? If so, you can check to see if the unit is even developing pressure. Repair of these things is usually risky and expensive. Clenliness is uptmost importance when going inside these hydros.

I'm looking at pictures of hydro-gear transaxles in my catalog, but I don't see your exact model, so I can't tell if yours has the filter or not. Some do, others don't.

From what I can tell so far, you have an internal failure. It could be as simple as a sheared woodruff key, or as bad as a ruined pump. Check all your gears inside. Make sure the ones that are supposed to be keyed to their shafts are still holding fast.

Old 07-24-02, 08:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
917 denotes it is an American Yard Products (part of Electrolux) made unit.

Go to Sears website at www.sears.com, click on "Parts" and then you should be able to get at an exploded diagram. Seeing something there might jog your memory.

You may be able to bring the beast back to Sears under warranty and have them replace it if it's so new .

Old 07-25-02, 07:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The sears websites don't show exploded views of any of the transaxles I have looked up. It would be nice, but since sears doesn't repair the unit, they just sell the complete unit, then I guess they see no need in showing it. (disassembled). You are correct though, it is an AYP mower, as are all sears tractor mowers made in the past 20 years or so.

Old 07-26-02, 06:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Cheese:

There are some tricks on their site which might apply here.

First, you enter the complete unit #. Then, in the text, it will usually show the Sears model # for the engine, trans, etc. If they show it, you go back to the model # search and plug in THAT component #. If it's broken down, you'll get the exploded view.

For instance, if you try the mower I found in the trash a few months ago (haven't got around to doing the carb BTW, will let you know), it will just show you the complete engine...with seemingly no breakdown. (try it, 917.384011). But, you'll see the engine model # listed. Plug that # in the site and you'll get all the engine parts, right down to bolts and nuts.

Sears is usually pretty good. If the vendor breaks it down, they usually do as well. They even use the vendor's part #s in their literature and their site, so if you know who it is, you can usually go to the source and avoid their markup. I did that with Waterloo Industries, Tecumseh and others. I use the Sears site as a reference, not to purchase .

Old 07-26-02, 07:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ahh...I'll have to try that. Actually, the few times I tried the site were mainly out of curiosity. I was impressed that sears would go to this extent for customer service. I guess it helps to make up for their sub-par...to say the least...on site warranty service.

Old 05-20-09, 11:31 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
manual for the model #917272201

I actually have the same lawn tractor and went to Sears.com clicked on parts direct and then typed in our model number and in the lower right hand corner of the page it will let you click on get manual for this model -- it has the whole manual with the imploded views of what I believe you are looking for. Good luck I hope that you can get it fixed.

Manage My Home - Find Product Manuals, Search Results - Managemyhome.com

Have a great day.
Sugarnana

Last edited by sugarnana; 05-20-09 at 11:34 AM. Reason: adding a link
Old 05-20-09, 01:18 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Sugarnana;
This link is from 7-26-02, I think they have fixed it by now. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-17-12, 07:09 PM
P
Transaxle exploded parts view at Sears Parts Direct

Go to the Sears Parts Direct and look for your model. Take note of the transaxle part number. Back at the page where you put in your model number, scroll down and look for HydroGear or (in my case) Fortedana. Check one and it takes you to the various parts listings for the transaxles. I wish Sears would put a direct link on their parts page to the appropriate transaxle parts page.

Old 05-17-12, 07:13 PM
P
Hi cheese - yes they do show transaxles but they bury it somewhat. Go to http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...-tractor-Parts, then scroll down and click on the Footedana or HydroGear tractors and parts links. it takes you to the exploded transaxle parts drawings in standard Sears format.

Old 05-18-12, 01:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, this thread was ten years ago... the website is vastly different now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: