How to adjust grabby clutch on Murray riding mower?

Old 05-17-12, 03:16 PM
How to adjust grabby clutch on Murray riding mower?

I have a 42" 12.5 hp Murray/WalMart riding mower (40504x92A) with a really grabby clutch. It is SO grabby, when the engine is hot, if I release the brake too abruptly pulling away from a dead stop, it will wheelie. I kid you not, it pulls the front wheels clean off the ground. The mower is coming on about 15 years old and never behaved this way until late last mowing season.

This lurchiness severely complicates mowing in tight spots. Plus I figure it's not doing the mower any favors.

So how do I adjust this? It occurs to me that, since this occurs when I'm releasing the brakes, they also might be the cause.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-12, 06:36 PM
Is the engagement late? Belt needed replacing on one of mine and I only had 1 that was an inch too long. I put it on for temporary use and it engages real late with a slight lurch.

Old 05-24-12, 10:18 AM
I had to mow with it again to find out. Yes, the engagement seems to be in the last 1/3rd of pedal travel. And the parking brake doesn't hold firmly either.

Old 05-24-12, 06:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the belt cloth sheathing has worn off and nothing but the rubber is exposed, it can grab and lurch rather than slip and clutch into engagement.