Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro Personal Pace Recycler 2010

PA

05-18-12, 06:04 PM   #1  
Toro Personal Pace Recycler 2010

Hi,

I have a Toro Personal Pace Recycler I bought about 2 years a go. My question is why are my gears in the wheels getting ground down so fast?

Some background info:
Mowed about 200+ yards with the first set then it stripped so I bought a replacement set. This only lasted like 10 yards... A little disappointed.

I noticed that the shaft has about a half inch or so of play from side to side when I move it by hand. Does anyone else that has the mower notice this? IDK if that is how its supposed to be. Anyone know why the gears are getting stripped so fast on the wheels?

Also i was wondering if the back wheels had a differential on them or is that just a transmission that converts the horizontal turning from the pulley to vertical turning for the wheels. I assumed it was a differential since the one shaft will turn for one wheel without having the shaft for the other wheel turn when i turn it by hand. But when I mow they both spin the same time even when one is clearly more free than the other is.

Thanks for your time!

-THENERVEMANN

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-18-12, 06:44 PM   #2  
Sounds like the shaft that the wheel mounts on has worn down and is letting the wheel move away from the gear, allowing it to strip faster. I assume that when you say you mowed 10 yards before it stripped, you mean you mowed 10 pieces of property, not 10 yards as in 30 feet, right? Otherwise, you have a serious problem that should be obvious if it strips in 30 feet.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

05-19-12, 09:08 AM   #3  
The wheel is in place and not moving. The shaft that the transmission is connected to is moving left to right by a half an inch or greater.

and by yards I meant lawns*

CO

05-19-12, 09:22 AM   #4  
It is likely that the deck is bent and the gears are no longer properly alined, Look down the shaft to see if it is centered in the wheel adj bracket bearing. Can't give better info without model & serial number

PA

05-19-12, 11:49 AM   #5  
Okay ill look at the mower tonight and see if i can see anything outta place. ill look up the serial and model number too

PA

05-21-12, 01:35 PM   #6  
Toro Recycler Lawn Mower Model No. 20332

serial number 310019255

WI

05-21-12, 06:32 PM   #7  
Transmission has lost center

Your transmission should not move left or right which I believe the shaft is also moving. The swivel for the wheel adjuster acts as a locator and if you have worn the end of the bushing part of the adjuster swivel then the shaft and transmission will move too far right and left causing both the gears to wear and the inside of the right rear wheel to show a grinding on the inside of the wheel. That bushing has a flat surface of about an eighth of an inch before it tapers up. Take your adjuster off the left rear (as you are standing at the handle bar) and compare with a new one.

PA

05-22-12, 01:28 PM   #8  
Alright Thanks! ill look at it as soon as i get the time!

WI

05-23-12, 11:23 AM   #9  
Try this site. Item I am referring to is number 10.

http://wssemw.arinet.com/Scripts/Img...&ilIF=G&ilRE=8

Search this Thread