Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda GX160 electric start conversion

Non-US

05-20-12, 01:37 AM   #1  
Honda GX160 electric start conversion

I have a recoil based honda GX160 backup power generator. I want to convert it to electric start. There are kits available for this but someone asked me to open the flywheel cover and see if there are mounting holes for the starting motor and charging coil on this engine. So i opened it and removed the flywheel bolt but couldn't remove the flywheel itself to clearly see the mounting holes. I have taken pictures of it to post on this forum so anyone experienced in this can tell if it is possible to mount starting motor and coil on this thing? also do you guys know if i will have to replace complete flywheel or the gear can just be mounted on existing one?
Here are the pics of the flywheel

Sponsored Links

VT

05-20-12, 02:36 AM   #2  
I have a GX140 with pull start, looks similar. Can't help you with your electric starter questions but suggest you get a gear puller from an tool store to remove the flywheel. They are quite inexpensive, certainly cheaper than a new flywheel.........

Non-US

05-20-12, 05:11 AM   #3  
Thankyou mate for replying

I will try to get that. I hope someone can help me with this electric start thing

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-12, 10:25 AM   #4  
I don't recall seeing starter mounts on GX160s that didn't come with starters. Also, you'd have to change the flywheel to one with magnets installed for the charging system.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Non-US

05-20-12, 12:28 PM   #5  
hmm. I will try to remove flywheel and then post the picture. Is there anything i need to be careful about or some precautions to take when removing the flywheel?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-20-12, 03:52 PM   #6  
Not sure why you want to remove the flywheel. Do you see starter mounts? I doubt it. If not, there's no need to remove the flywheel, because you can't put a starter on it anyway.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread