Craftsman Pressure Washer with 6HP Briggs & Stratton will not keep running.

Old 05-11-12, 03:09 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Pressure Washer with 6HP Briggs & Stratton will not keep running.

I have a Craftsman Pressure Washer with a 6HP Briggs & Stratton engine. It will start for just a couple of seconds than stop. I removed the carburator, cleaned out the bowl, had the carb body dipped and blew out all of the ports, re-assembled it and it still only runs for a couple of seconds than shuts off. Removed the air filter and still does the same. Pressure hose is not attached so it is not under load. It is getting gas to the bowl and there does not appear to be any restrictions in the gas line. Governor linkage moves freely but not really sure what it is supposed to be doing when trying to start. Please help as this unit has very few hours on it.

Old 05-11-12, 08:34 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Post the engine model, type and code usually found stamped in the metal engine shroud by the spark plug and someone can give you better info. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-11-12, 09:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You do know it's not good to run the PWer without water flowing thru the pump, right?

Old 05-11-12, 09:51 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Does it have some kind of safety switch on it that will not allow it to run without water hooked to it?

Old 05-11-12, 11:08 PM
C
Craftsman Pressure Washer with 6HP Briggs & Stratton Engine will not keep runnin

Geo; I will try to find the Engine Info and post it tomorrow.

Badeyeben and Marksr; I tried connecting water and the outlet hose, still won't run for more than a few seconds. I was thinking of some type of safety switch too, but don't have the owners manual.

One thing I didn't mention is that when it does run for a few seconds, it is with the choke fully closed. It doesn't matte if I open the choke or not, it just will not keep running.

I am curious about one thing, after cleaning and re-assembling the carburator, I can understand how the float and needle valve work to keep the fuel at a certain level but can't figure out how the fuel is moved from the bowl to the throat of the carb. Is it by vacuum, and if so, what is it's path?Could it be that the engine will fire when the bowl is full but then whatever it is that moves the fuel from down in the bowl to the throat is not moving enough fuel?

Old 05-12-12, 08:47 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
On the intake stroke as air passes over the nozzle in the carb it creates a vacuum sucking fuel from the bowl, depending on the carb style there is a jet somewhere that lets the fuel in the nozzle, a lot of briggs have the bowl nut as the main jet, it has a hole across the botton and a hole through the center, these can get clogged and create the problem you have. Refer to the pic below as an example. Have a good one. Geo[ATTACH=CONFIG]401[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  

Last edited by geogrubb; 05-12-12 at 08:48 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-12-12, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I agree with geogrubbs post above. There is no safety switch. You can crank it without water but only run it for a few seconds, or it will overheat and gall the pump.

Old 05-12-12, 04:34 PM
C
geo; Yes, that does looklike the bolt (if youcan call it that) that holds my sediment bowl on. I will take it off and check to see that all of the ports are clear.Sorry, I didn't have time today to get the engine info. I'll try again tomorrow.

Old 05-19-12, 03:41 PM
D
I just had the same problem with a wood splitter with a B&S 6.5 on it,, cleaned everything,, just would run a few seconds,, looked at the linkage to the governer rod, the spring was just sitting there,, no tension,, pulled on the spring a bit to see if it would make it run with tension on the rod, had my grandson start it, ran fine,, think the spring got stretched out somehow,, took about 1/8th of an inch out of the spring,, runs like a champ now,, good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: