Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can't pull starter cord on Briggs and Strattor 500 series, pressure washer

CANADA

05-21-12, 03:09 PM   #1  
Can't pull starter cord on Briggs and Strattor 500 series, pressure washer

Hi All

This unit has for sure less then 5 hours on it, and it is a year and a half old. I was just using it for a couple hours today. It started first pull since winter storage - no extra pulls or anything. I turned it off, changed locations and tried to pull, and it stalled. I tried to restart and it won't up pull more then a few inches. The cord seems to be hung up somewhere.

I drained the oil and refilled, removed the plug and no change. I'm not sure what else to do. I took a video to better describe what is happening: http://youtu.be/ChTgnLksEOY

Here are the engine details:

product: Other
category: Troubleshooting / Repairs
equipment_model_number: 0904305452070
engine_type: Briggs & Stratton
engine_model_number: 0904305452070
horsepower: 2000psi 1.9 gpm
torque: 2000psi 1.9 gpm
purchase_from: Canadian Tire, Albert St N, Regina, SK
purchase_date: 02/15/2011

Does anyone have any ideas of what I should try next?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-21-12, 04:49 PM   #2  
The video says it is private, so I can't comment on that. It sounds like you should remove the engine shroud and see if you can turn the engine by hand. Was the oil low? Was the oil black or grey? You could also try taking the pump off and see if the engine will turn. This will tell you if it's the pump or the engine that is stuck.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CANADA

05-21-12, 06:28 PM   #3  
Still not workin

Hey Cheese

Thanks for your response - I am very green to this, so please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong. I removed the 3 bolts that hold the the rip cord on, and here is what I got. http://youtu.be/3oUtfkP2tDMed.

The oil looked normal, maybe a little lean, butdidn't smell like gas. After I took this video I was finding that I could turn the flywheel and it would jerk how the rip cord does.

I removed the pump from the bottom and am getting the same issue with the motor. This isn't looking good so far!!

Thanks again!

MO

05-21-12, 06:37 PM   #4  
We can't watch the videos, remove the spark plug and try turning the engine to see if there is a restriction, you may have a sheared flywheel key. Have a good one. Geo

CANADA

05-21-12, 06:42 PM   #5  
Still broken

I figured out how to make the videos public. I think I prefer comments in here.. but whatever - beggars can't be choosers right!

Briggs and stratton. Turning by hand. - YouTube

CANADA

05-21-12, 06:51 PM   #6  
Still broken

Hey geogrubb

I figured out how to make the videos public now. Never used them before.

I pulled the plug and it doesn't make a difference. Also I have removed the rip cord and determined that is working ok. Unable to turn the flywheel by hand with the plug removed still.

Thanks for replying.

MO

05-22-12, 09:15 AM   #7  
Either the pump is locked up or the engine has a broken rod, insert a screw driver in the spark plug hole on top of the piston and turn the flywheel as far as it turns to see if the piston moves, if it moves then the pump must be locked, remove the pump and see if the engine will turn, it is obvious one of the two is broke. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-22-12, 10:17 AM   #8  
Sounds like your engine has internal problems. Take a look at the coil and make sure it isn't hitting the flywheel, but I think your engine is done.

God bless!

CANADA

05-23-12, 06:27 PM   #9  
Still broken

Ok, so I took the plug out and put a screwdriver in - it only goes about 3/4" past the threads and no change and I tug the rope out. Does that say anything?

The local repair shop quoted me $800 to fix this thing, so I think I'm gonna start tearing it down this weekend to try to fix it.. hoping I can find a service manual or something. I've done lots of basic repair on cars and motorcycles.. but this is a little further into an engine then I would normally go I think.

Is there a good book, website or manual anyone can recommend to follow along with this rebuild?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-23-12, 09:08 PM   #10  
$800??!! the 500 series engines are cheap... a new one is under $200, so I think your repair shop is maybe trying to make their month's rent on one job? I wouldn't worry with trying to fix it, it will never be the same. These engines are cheap in price and quality, not worth repairing.

God bless!

CANADA

05-24-12, 06:50 AM   #11  
I am thinking of pulling it apart and trying to fix it myself. I'm not sure how far I will get.. I imagine the repair shops will charge me deeply just for parts.. but who knows! I'm not in a position to replace the motor at this time.. and they aren't available in my area.

MO

05-24-12, 08:42 AM   #12  
Here is a link to a site that usually has good prices on replacement engines. Have a good one. Geo
Small Engine Warehouse - Repower Outdoor Power Equipment

CANADA

06-02-12, 08:22 PM   #13  
diagnosed

Well gentlemen.. I got back jnto this motor and turns out my connecting rod is snapped. Although Im pretty amateur at this but I dont see any other damage. The oil needs to be changed to get metal pieces out... Anyone have advice or. Suggestions before I try to dig in? How expensive it this part typically?)

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-02-12, 08:46 PM   #14  
Usually if the rod snaps, the crankshaft will also have aluminum transfer on it and possibly scoring, and the aluminum cylinder will often have scoring from the lack of oil. If you just needed a rod, you may fix it for less than $50, but make sure the broken rod didn't hit the camshaft, piston skirt, inside of the block, or other areas. These engines are not typically repaired, it is usually in the best interest to replace it. By the time you put labor and parts in it, you've exceeded the cost of a new engine, and then you are left with a repaired engine that may not last long.

God bless!

CANADA

06-02-12, 08:49 PM   #15  
Thanks for the super quick reply. Can I buy a 150 lawn mower with the same series or similar engine and just swap it out? I cant find an engine locally for that price.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-02-12, 08:54 PM   #16  
Not really, the pressure washer has a cast iron flywheel on the engine. The mower engine will not. The flywheel could be transferred from one engine to the other easily, but there are different crankshaft dimensions and you will want to be sure to get one that matches. Diameter, length, and keyway are what you want to match. Most all of them should have the same diameter and keyway.

God bless!

03-07-14, 09:11 AM   #17  
Hi Cheese,
I think my son has the same problem that this other gentleman has. And it's his friends pressure washer so I'm freaking. He did a lot of pressure washing and then it just died. He checked gas, I think it was old, but it was fine. He checked oil, looked good. So he started it again and it ran for about 15 seconds and died. He did that several times. Then all of a sudden, the cord won't pull out. I told him to put it away for today. My dad was a mechanic and even though I'm a girl, I'm pretty good with tools. Do we have to break it down like Andy did? Any suggestions?

CANADA

03-07-14, 09:35 AM   #18  
I ended up buying a used motor from someone on Kijiji. When I opened up the engine, the rod had broken. The parts to replace it weren't easily sourced in my area, and everyone I talked to assured me that it would never run well again. Sorry for the bad news.. but thats what happened to me. Good luck!

Search this Thread