Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawnmower backfiring after shutting down

CT

05-29-12, 02:23 PM   #1  
Lawnmower backfiring after shutting down

I have a 3 year old 4 cycle Cub Cadet riding mower that backfires once when I shut it down. It normally happens after about 15+ mins of use. I shut it down wait about 5 secs and it backfires once.

What could be causing this?

Edit: not having any other problems with the mower. Starts and runs good.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-29-12, 04:19 PM   #2  
The anti-backfire solenoid on the carb is probably stuck. You might want to remove it and clean it to get it working freely again.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CT

05-29-12, 05:42 PM   #3  
awesome. i'll check it out when i get home. Its a kohler engine, do you know if the entire carburetor has to be removed to get to the solenoid?

FL

05-29-12, 06:19 PM   #4  
Hello robbversion1,

You should be able to un-screw this solenoid from the bottom of the carb after un-plugging the wire, But.... Before you do this try letting the engine idle cool for a half minute or so before shut-down and see if that resolves the issue.

Good Luck

CANADA

10-10-12, 11:18 AM   #5  
Possible timing problem.

Hi folks, first post. I have a 20hp Kohler in a Cub Cadet mower. I bought it used a couple of years ago and it now has 280 hours by the clock. Ever since I owned it, it would backfire when I quickly reduced the throttle at shutdown. About a week ago, I was showing a friend how well the bagger attachment worked to pick up leaves and pine needles. When I went to restart it, it did start but made a popping noise in the exhaust and excess gas came out of the carb. It would idle but not throttle up. I took it to a local dealer and after a couple of hours investigating, he determined that the key that locks the flywheel to the crank had partially sheared and was throwing the timing off. He replaced the key and reset the timing as well as adjusted the valve clearances.

Bottom line is it runs fine now and in fact better than before. I wonder if the key was beginning to shear earlier and the timing was off slightly. No more backfire.

Search this Thread