Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda HRT216 throttle lever won't move into choke position

WA

05-30-12, 09:54 PM   #1  
Honda HRT216 throttle lever won't move into choke position

The throttle lever on my Honda HRT216 does not push beyond the Fast position; you can't push it into the Choke position. The lever just stops at the end of the Fast position. I disconnected the throttle cable from the engine and the problem with the throttle lever still happens. I think the problem is within the throttle lever housing. I removed the housing from the handlebar, but I couldn't figure out how to take it apart, so I didn't.

Have you heard of this problem before? Can the housing be taken apart to fix the problem? Do I have to just buy a brand new throttle lever/housing/cable?

For reference, since the choke can't be fully closed, the engine will not start when it's cold.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-31-12, 10:23 AM   #2  
Sounds like you need a new cable. You can dribble a little gas into the carb to get it started if needed, while the cable is on order.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WA

05-31-12, 09:21 PM   #3  
Thanks Cheese. Does your answer imply the throttle lever housing can't be taken apart or fixed?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-31-12, 09:51 PM   #4  
I don't know, I don't remember how it is put together. Usually most anything can be taken apart and fixed. I want to say this one is two pieces of plastic snapped together and it has to be pried apart to get inside, but I can't swear to it. If it looks like that's the case, there should be snaps that pop together inside the housing and they may pop apart without breaking, or they may not.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WA

06-01-12, 06:19 PM   #5  
Solution found

I solved the problem.

Short answer:
Push the throttle lever PAST the resistance at the end of the Fast position, hear a loud "click" and the lever pushes into the Choke position.

Longer answer:
I decided to buy a new throttle lever and cable assembly today. Before I left the counter, I tried the new lever. I pushed it and heard a loud "click" when I went beyond the Fast position. That felt weird to me so I asked about it. The person who helped me said that's the "detent position so you don't push the throttle past the Fast position when you don't want to."

In other words, Honda designed the lever to stop at the end of the Fast position so you don't accidentally activate the choke (and choke out the engine) when you're mowing the lawn normally. Push the lever to the end of the Fast position, mow your lawn and everything's good.

What I didn't know is that the detent is really solid. You have to push the lever pretty hard to go beyond the detent and into the Choke position. Plus, when you do that, the loud "click" sounds like something could be breaking. The reality is that the detent and the click are completely normal.

I can return the new throttle cable since the old one works "as expected." Since this work was for my neighbor's mower that I've not used very much, I didn't know the throttle lever was working normally -- it felt like it just stopped and I'd break it if I pushed any harder. Not so, that's how it's supposed to work.

Live and learn.

Search this Thread