John Deere LT150 deck problem

Old 05-31-12, 04:55 PM
John Deere LT150 deck problem

Hey all, I've bought a used JD LT150 with 38" freedom deck. Starts great, runs great however, when trying to cut my 2+ acres of mostly bald patches, dandilion and other field grasses, it gets all gummed up under the deck to the point where the blades will stop turning and stall the engine. (New yard that I'm slowly working on seeding.) I have to bring it in, scrape the deck clean and repeat a couple of times before completing the job. I've never had his problem before, but I'm wondering if the blades could be installed upside down? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-12, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My owner's manual does not show a Freedom deck on the 38" model. Only on the 42". Maybe they sent a different configuration to Canada.

If it is the Freedom deck, it is a thatching deck, with no side discharge. It requires that the blades be set up 90 degrees from each other and that thatching blades be used. If you have the wrong blades, that could cause the build up.

Old 06-01-12, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the reply. Your right its not a freedom deck, its the 38" side discharge deck. Do you think the blade setup can be the problem? Have you heard of this happening? What should have taken 1.5 - 2 hours ended up taking me 5.5 hours. Can't wait to have this problem solved.

Old 06-01-12, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you have the blades on wrong or worn out blades.

Old 06-01-12, 09:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only thing that I can think of is to verify that the blades are mounted so that the cutting edge is closest to the grass. Both blades should turn the same direction. You can view one of them by lifting the discharge flap and just nudging the engagement lever with the engine running.

From that view, the blade should turn clockwise - with the cutting edge leading. Be safe if checking this way. If you can see the one blade, the other should also be turning.

Cheese popped in with the same thought while I was typing.

Old 06-05-12, 06:29 AM
Thanks goldstar, cheese, I'll have a look as soon as I'm off work and update on what I find.

Old 06-08-12, 09:51 AM
Removed the deck today and had a look at the blades. The blades are very dull and not 90 degrees from each other. Do they remain 90 degrees from each other or is this just a starting position? I'll have a look at sharpening them this week and possibly replace them if need be. Then I'll reinstall and update on the results of the next cut.

Old 06-08-12, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
They don't need to be 90 degrees from each other unless you have the timed deck with a timing belt on the pulleys.

Old 06-08-12, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. I figured as much since there was nothing stopping them from changing their alignment. I've sharpened the blades and ensured they are balanced. The blades currently on there are marked M84472. Best I can figure is that those are suitable replacement blades for the side discharge blades AM141039. Can dull blades really have been the problem or should I pick up a set of AM141039 blades?

Old 06-08-12, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
I'd say try it with the blades sharpened before you go spending any money.

Old 06-08-12, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dull blades can cause problems, but I don't see how they could cause it to gum and cake up the deck. If the lift portion of the blade is worn off, then that would do it.

Old 06-09-12, 09:50 AM
I'm wondering if the blades have too much lift for the grass to dirt/gumbo ratio currently in my yard. I'm heading to the dealership to pick up a tuneup kit so I'll ask and see what they say. None the less I think I'll try it with the blades sharpened and see what happens.

Old 06-09-12, 11:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Too much lift would keep the deck even cleaner.