KGRO Power Pro Model # Lt4218 Gear Problems

Old 06-09-12, 11:19 AM
Question KGRO Power Pro Model # Lt4218 Gear Problems

Hi! I just bought a 1994 KGRO Power Pro 18hp TwinV Briggs and Stratton riding mower. It is in awesome condition, but the only thing that I'm having a problem with is it sometimes doesn't like to grab gears. I can pretty much ride in 1st gear with a few slips here and there, and 2nd gear only catches about 1/2 the time and does better down hill.. but gears 3-5 next to never catch.
I'm wondering, since I'm not familiar to this model, if there is some kind of fluid the rear end needs that is might be low on. Because the gears don't feel stripped, it just doesn't feel like the clutch is going down far enough to catch the gears. Other than that, the mower works awesome.

Any helps would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-12, 11:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you transmission is shot. The selector keys are probably worn out.

Old 06-09-12, 11:28 AM
So does it sound like an easy do it yourself project? lol

Old 06-09-12, 11:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well, define easy, lol. For me, I consider it very easy, but I know some folks who have trouble figuring out which direction to turn the faucet to get the water to come on... so for them it would be very hard. If you are mechanically inclined and pay attention to what you're doing and how things come apart and go together, you can do it fairly easily. The shift keys are available and the entire transmission doesn't have to come all to pieces to replace them. It does have to be opened and partially disassembled though.

Old 06-10-12, 01:33 PM
Well thats good. And yes, I am quite mechanically inclined. I built my own suzuki samarai practically out of USPS boxes haha. So do you know where I can get instructions on how to do this? Thanks

Old 06-10-12, 05:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know of any detailed instructions. Take the tranny out, take the pulley off the top. If the tranny is caked up with debris, clean it off so you don't get the mess inside it. Take the case bolts out all around the tranny. With the tranny front facing you on the workbench, gently lift and pry the top of the case upwards, being careful to make sure all the parts other than the shifter connection and input shaft stay in the bottom half. Once the top is off, the shaft closest to you with several gears that increase in size... that is the shaft you'll need to pull out. Take it out and slide each piece off and lay it on the bench in the order it was removed, with each piece face up. There will be 2 or 3 grooves in the shaft, and that is where the shift keys are. Slide the shift collar off and the keys will come with it. Install the new keys and reverse procedure to reassemble. The old keys are probably rounded off at the tabs on the ends. Check the gears as well, where the keys latch and make sure they aren't worn too far, which will allow the new keys to slip.

Once you get the shaft back together, fit it back in place in the lower half of the tranny. Add some "00" grease if needed, and make sure the bushings on the shaft are lined up with the flats on the bushings matching with the flats in the case, or you may break the case when you tighten the bolts. Sit the top of the case on and line the shifter up with the shift ring. Some models require this is done prior to installing the top if the shifter is a fork rather than a single button type. If the top case half fits all the way down tight and flush with the bottom half, bolt it back together. If it doesn't. open it back up and figure out why. Usually it's one of the bronze bushings on one of the shafts, or a thrust washer over too far and in the way. Get the make and model of the unit and look up a diagram if needed, in case you get confused.