Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sealing Welch Plug on Zama C1Q Carb

NJ

06-12-12, 07:19 AM   #1  
Sealing Welch Plug on Zama C1Q Carb

I am in the process of rebuilding a Zama C1Q Carb and want to seal the welch plug since the old sealant is separating off. What is the best sealant ? I read about several types - nail polish, Krazy Glue and Seal-all.

Zama does not mention which type of sealant in their tech guide, but I found on the web they recommend Seal-all. I bought a tube and found the consistency very gummy. I think it would be hard to put a thin layer on the welch plug and you would probably have to fill the cavity up the carb body. Any recommendations?

Sponsored Links

CO

06-12-12, 07:49 AM   #2  
Cyanoacrylate also know as super glue Zama uses an industrial version when they assy the carbs.

NJ

06-25-12, 11:08 AM   #3  
Zama had no specific recommendation on the type of sealer due to the ever changing fuel formulation changes and the phase out of the sealer type welch plug. They did recommend to only apply the sealer that is used, to a minimum amount to just the void between the casting and welch plug. This is to prevent stray sealer from getting into the carb jets.

I ended up using Advanced Formula Super Glue (methyl type CA). I tried Seal-All, but found it to set-up too quickly, not easily to apply precisely and form small projections which may get into the carb jets. After a week so far, so good. Not a lot of time I know, but I'll try to follow up at a later date.

NJ

09-24-12, 09:02 AM   #4  
Just a quick follow-up on this carb repair/rebuild. Welch plug and carb working fine to date based on operation, I didn't do a tear down. Cold starts between 1-4 pulls, engine runs clean through rev range, and no carb adjustment needed since rebuild. Knock on wood, of course.

Search this Thread