Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens GT19 has no spark

NH

06-12-12, 09:01 AM   #1  
Ariens GT19 has no spark

I have an Ariens GT19 tractor with a 19 Hp Kohler engine that has no spark. A friend of mine tested the coil (dual output coil) and said that the secondary side of the coil was bad. I didn't want to spend the outrageous money that a new stock coil would cost and after reading a few small engine web sites I purchased a dual output motorcycle coil. Still no spark. My buddy said that if the condenser is bad that would cause a no spark condition also. He said that if the condenser is shorting I could simply eliminate the condenser from the circuit to troubleshoot whether it was a bad condenser causing the problem. He said that if I eliminated the condenser from the circuit and that was the problem I would now have a spark. I did so, and still no spark. Does anyone have any ideas? I am contemplating buying another set of points and condenser but these were replaced not too long ago.

Pmart60

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-12-12, 10:12 AM   #2  
What engine are we dealing with here?

Are the points gapped properly? Does the plug wire send any signal at all, a tingle?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NH

06-12-12, 10:37 AM   #3  
Ariens GT19 No Spark.

I don't have the engine model # handy right now I will reply tomorrow or later this evening with the engine model #. The points are gapped properly. There is no spark at the plugs or at the points as they open and close. If this is a universal type dual outlet motorcycle coil (no polartity specified) that I using do I need to add a balast resistor if this is battery type ignition on this tractor?

NH

06-13-12, 06:08 AM   #4  
GT19 No spark

Good morning Cheese,

The Kohler engine I have in this tractor is a 19 HP Kohler, Spec # 49202. It is A KT19. Serial # 1605909886.

IL

06-13-12, 06:48 AM   #5  
Check thhe plug wire, might be something wrong with it

NH

06-13-12, 08:33 AM   #6  
Ariens GT19 No Spark

If the plug wire was bad I would still see a spark at the points when engine is cranking. There is no spark even at the points.

Non-US

06-13-12, 08:44 PM   #7  
You can use a test light to diag this..Ground the light,, Test one side of the coil.. It should be 12v constant with the engine cranking (~batt voltage),, On the other side of the coil the test light should flash as the points open & close while cranking.. If no light, you have an open coil or shorted points & condenser,, If solid light, points are open or corroded,, Try it, I hope some of this helps..... Roger

NH

06-14-12, 08:44 AM   #8  
Ariens GT19 no spark

Thanks for the tip I will give it a try this weekend.

pmart60

Search this Thread