Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh engined lawn mower

Non-US

06-22-12, 03:32 PM   #1  
Tecumseh engined lawn mower

Hi All, I have a mower fitted with a LAVR 172 Tecumseh engine. The mower was running well but stopped, I had no spark. I couldn't see anything wrong, I checked the points, changed the spark plug, changed the condenser and when all that failed I changed the coil for a new one. I still have no spark.
I bought an ignition tester and have tried that. The red LED lights up no problem but the orange neon is out - not even a glimmer. An option that is not mentioned on the instruction sheet that comes with it!! What does this combination mean?
I have looked into adjusting the clearance between the magnet in the flywheel but that is fixed and cannot be adjusted. Disconnecting the shorting wire doesn't make any difference either. There are no points of contact where the insulation on the wires might have rubbed thru - I have had that happen before.
So pray tell me what next I have to do?
Thank you
Ian

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-22-12, 09:50 PM   #2  
I don't know anything about your tester, but if you took the coil off, did you set the air gap?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread