Installing generator

Old 06-30-12, 05:27 PM
Unhappy Installing generator

Got hit by the wild wind storm that walloped Ohio and want to install 8750 kw backup generator. Power is expected to be out for 8-10 days and cannot get an electrician for at least ten days to do install. Someone has said I can shut off the main and plug the generator into the washer outlet. Once started the generator will flow electrical power back through the system. Is this possible and is it safe? This could be a savior if it works.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-12, 06:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Absolutely without a doubt it will be the wrong thing to do! It is not approved and should the remote likelihood of someone turning the wrong breaker on with the generator hooked up it could endanger the lives of power company employees trying to restore the power. Remember voltage is reduced from 15000 volts to about 120 volts before it enters your house. Now think of what your generator could do in reverse.
When you bought your generator, I am sure you were offered a switch gear to go with it. That is the only approved method of installation. You may be able to find block out contraptions that will prevent the main breaker from being turned on, as I have heard of their use on this forum. More of our guys will chime in here so hang on.

Old 06-30-12, 06:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No don't do that. People have died from this, people have been charged with manslaughter over this, and it's illegal in many places from what I understand. The best short-term thing to do is run an extension cord where you need it until you can get it connected properly. I assume you mean 8750 watt generator, not Kw, since an 8750 Kw machine would be huge, not something you would even think of just plugging into an outlet. A 8750 watt generator will not power you whole house. It will only run a few things at a time. Run a cord or get a real install kit.

Old 06-30-12, 07:45 PM
My exact concern

I was afraid it might be dangerous which is why I asked you folks. Thanks for the warning. I appreciate your help.