Log Splitter Hydraulics

Old 07-06-12, 02:56 AM
Log Splitter Hydraulics

I'm having a problem with my splitter in warm weather. It will start splitting fine, then after a while it will just stop. The enginge doesn't stall, it just pushes the wood as far as the wedge and won't go any farther. If I leave it for a few hours it will start splitting again, and it splits fine in cooler temps. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-12, 04:40 AM
That's typical of a worn pump. The oil thickens with cooling and the pump works better. You can try a viscosity booster. Something like Trans X for automatic transmissions may help. It swells worn seals and beefs up the viscosity a little.

If it comes down to the last breath on it you can throw STP at it. That's, for the most part, a motor oil additive, but blends with hydraulic oil. It will thicken things up substantially.

Old 07-07-12, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the diagnosis and the suggestions! I was hoping to finnish up before I had to fix/replace anything, now I should be able to. Thanks again!

Old 07-08-12, 12:50 PM
No problem. Hope ya get it done. My stuff always goes down when the end is in sight. Maybe you can crutch it through to the finish.

Old 07-12-12, 03:16 AM
Good to hear I'm not the only one that happens to!