Red Max HTZ 2401 Hedge Trimmer idles but cuts out when you rev engine

Old 07-06-12, 11:11 AM
Red Max HTZ 2401 Hedge Trimmer idles but cuts out when you rev engine

Red Max HTZ2401/CHTZ2401 2 cycle engine
Walbro WYA 67 746 Carb/throttle body

The engine will start and idle. I can slowly accelerate the throttle a bit, but when it starts to reach the speed needed for the clutch to kick in and start moving the blades - the engine dies right out.

I ran it with the air filter off and no sign of fuel leaking out of air intake. Disassembled the carb/throttle body and didn't see anything obvious. Would a weak or stretched diaphram cause this - should I get a carb rebuild kit? I put it all back together but still have same problem.

The machine is 5 or six years old and a lot of hours on it. I read that the mufflers tend to clog up - could this cause the cut out on acceleration?

I appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-12, 10:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This sounds like a lean condition caused by a restriction in the carb. A cleaning will probably fix it up, but it may need a carb kit if not. A clogged muffler will cause high speed issues, but it doesn't kill the engine normally, it just keeps it from revving up.

Old 07-17-12, 02:30 PM
I thoroughly disassembled and cleaned the carb and blew it out with compressed air. Tried it twice. Same problem.

I contacted an online parts supplier who also offers repair & troubleshooting advice. I wanted to order the carb rebuild diaphragm & gasket kit but he advised replacing entire carb. He said this was an older model carb but that he had 2 new in stock that he would sell at a big discount.

I considered the price $68 plus $10 shipping for brand new in box Walbro including the filter, he said carb lists over $100, & rebuild kit around $30. Anyway I installed the new carb and filter and fuel line today and it runs great. Wanted to let ou know how I made out.

Old 07-17-12, 02:46 PM
Dang that's HIGH,,,for kit and carb,,,,,,,He's really marking things up. Good to hear ya got it running.