Going crazy with 1991 Craftsman ride on mower

Old 07-11-12, 04:13 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Going crazy with 1991 Craftsman ride on mower

Briggs & Stratton engine. Nothing but problems & am not mechanically inclined.

Problems started when the gas line clamp broke and gas was running out of the line full flow. Replaced the clamp with new one, no leaking now.

The ride on mower used to start right away. But wouldnt start after that so I bought brand new battery from store & fully charged. Then still wouldn't start so cleaned out the carburator with carb cleaner & replaced the float and carb gasket which was worn out so gas started leaking out of the top of the bowl. No leaking gas anywhere now.

It takes forever to start and lots of black smoke comes out of the front. When it finally does start, it dies right away. I turned the long screw sticking out of the carb bowl this way and that and that did the trick: The mower actually went really well for about 10 minutes & got some work done! I was in my glory. Then right in the middle of the job, the buggar quits. Right in the middle of nowhere, wont start no matter what ... the engine turns but wont start. Battery wears out ofcourse from trying to start it and I end up pushing the thing back to where I keep it. Man was I Mad - it's hard work pushing that machine all that way back

One thing I noticed (and I'm not sure if this is just my imagination), but it seems like the wheels locked when it stopped. Could that be or is the frustrations of this machine making me finally hallucinate?

There was new gas in the tank and I checked that it wasn't out of gas. Oil put in yesterday and wasn't out of oil.

I just can't figure out why this mower can't just act normal ...

Last edited by beth99; 07-11-12 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-11-12, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello and welcome to doityourself.com

Please post the engine model number. Does it have spark?

Old 07-12-12, 09:42 AM
B
the engine number is 281707-0412-01, Briggs and STratton, I am told that the engine is in good shape.

Update: This morning I tried to start the mower. The engine turns and turns but it doesn't start up now.

Sorry cheese, I am a real newbie to mechanics. I don't know what spark means or how and where to check it I don't even know what a spark plug in this machine looks like or how to find it ...

Old 07-12-12, 01:23 PM
B
well, went out this afternoon and tried again and the engine was turning but it wouldn't start. so i checked the gas, couldn't see any, and put some more in. Started up right away. Worked fantastic!

One thing I noticed is that the engine has a knocking noise at lower speeds (1st and 2nd gear). What causes that? (forgot to mention that it has no deck since it functions as a mini tractor, i don't need it for grass cutting).

Also, wanted to ask why some places say to wet the foam that surrounds the air filter with gas?

Keeping my fingers crossed that it will work again tomorrow.

Old 07-12-12, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The knocking could be loose engine bolts or worn internal parts. Is it full of oil? You don't want to soak the foam with gas. You wet it with oil and wring it out so that it has an oily film on it so the dirt will stick to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: