Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman electric chainsaw makes bad sound (video)

VA

07-13-12, 07:47 AM   #1  
Craftsman electric chainsaw makes bad sound (video)

Guys, I was cutting up a pretty small tree and the saw suddenly made a gear-grinding sound. Like if you are shifting a manual transmission car and you don't use the clutch, that nasty gear buzzing sound... the chainsaw did that for a split second and the chain wasn't moving either. The saw still works but it makes a clicking sound. I haven't used the saw since it made the buzzing sound. Here is a video of the clicking sound. Is there is a gearbox in there that might have gotten messed up? Thanks for your help.

Craftsman electric chainsaw makes clicking sound - YouTube

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-13-12, 10:09 AM   #2  
Yes, there are gears that may have gotten damaged.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

07-13-12, 02:49 PM   #3  
Thanks. I took it apart and the drive gear (plastic) was stripped in one place. Looks like the replacement gear is $20 shipped, new saw is $80 at Sears down the street. Wish Sears had ship-to-store for parts. Guess I'll just order the new gear and be more careful next time. Thanks.

MO

07-13-12, 04:38 PM   #4  
if you have a Harbor Freight close, they have the same saw for $59 sometimes a coupon for 20% off, worth checking. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread