Engine cutting out - driving me nuts!

Old 08-06-12, 03:16 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Engine cutting out - driving me nuts!

Hi there. I have a Toro Wheel Horse with a Kawasaki liquid-coold V-Twin OHD, FD620D.

The issue is engine will run for a random period (be it 5/15/40 minutes) before sputtering out. I generally cannot restart it immediately: by using choke (even though hot), it may cough and splutter but then dies out with eventually no response to ignition turning engine over (ie will not fire). I have to leave it for 20 minutes or so before I can restart it and off we go again... I have removed spark plugs (se well as replaced) and checked that there is a spark when engine dies, so does not seem electrical. Also, when there is oil around the outside of the top of the carb, I noticed today...

This has been going on for a couple of years, though is now worse. It is driving me nutso .

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Old 08-06-12, 07:02 AM
B
I'm not familiar with that particular engine but it sounds to me like you have a
intake valve not seating properly when the engine gets hot. Pro's will be on soon to further this,i'm sure.

Old 08-06-12, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 49 Posts
I have a good bit of experience with that engine. Check the fuel pump. It gets hot and stops pumping. I've seen this happen on several, and with the same symptoms.

Old 08-07-12, 06:55 AM
L
thanks big cheese - unfortunately I had already done that (sorry, forgot to say) - any other ideas?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: