Briggs & Stratton 4 HP Throwing Oil Out Of Muffler

Old 08-07-12, 12:29 PM
Briggs & Stratton 4 HP Throwing Oil Out Of Muffler

Model 12F702-0606-01 Code 9408095

Has been in storage for years. Fired it up and lots of smoke came out of the muffler. It ran for a short while then died. Looked below the muffler and there was a small pool of dark oil. Checked the oil and it looks very clean. After several tries got the unit to fire up again. Same thing happened, lots of white smoke, oil dripping out of muffler, after several minutes I just shut it down.

Someone suggested that the lawnmower may have been tipped. Not sure of that, I did not tip it. What can I do to try and clear out oil if it had been tipped?

If tipping was not the cause of this problem, what else could it be? What can I do to troubleshoot or resolve this problem?

Help, please!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-12, 02:24 PM
Has the oil been over filled? If it has been over filled drain it and start fresh. After running it after changing oil and it still does this and it will for a little bit, I would say it has a broken ring inside the engine. But if the oil has been over filled and if mower has been tipped on it's side towards the muffler it will smoke like a freight train. Let it run for a little bit and see if it will clear up. That's my advice.
Good luck.

Old 08-07-12, 08:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, if the mower is tipped or overfilled, this will happen. Also, if the mower is running too fast, this can happen.

Old 08-08-12, 08:03 AM
I notice you state it has been stored for years, if during that time it set with the spark plug pointing down oil could seep past the rings and fill the combustion chamber and out into the muffler. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-08-12, 10:08 PM
A friend had suggested to just let the engine run and burn off the oil that maybe had seeped during storage. Sure enough, after a few minutes the smoke stopped and there was only one tiny drip of oil. I cut the back yard and all was well. Today I tried to start the mower, it powered up briefly, sort of coughed and died almost as though it was starving for gas (yet the tank is full). Any new ideas?

Old 08-09-12, 06:24 AM
Starving for gas

If it was layed up for a long time I would suggest that you replace the fuel filter and run some gumout, or similar product, through the lines. Probably have some varnish in the carb and/or fuel lines. Depends on how well it was prepped before layup. I have a old Toro self propelled that had some problems that I worked on from time to time and got it running. It wasn't actually used for two years and now starts up everytime on the second pull!

Old 08-09-12, 08:52 AM
There are a lot of possible problems for anything that has set for a long period, the fuel line can deteriorate and block the main jet, varnish or dried junk from the tank. With that said, the bowl nut is the main jet for that carb so clamp off the fuel line, remove the bowl(catch the bowl fuel on a clean paper towl to check for floating debris) and clean the bowl and bowl nut, the bowl nut has a hole down the center and 2 in the bottom, refer to the pic for reference. Release the clamped fuel line and check fuel flow, raise the float to see that it shuts off the fuel with minimal pressure, reclamp the fuel line, reassemble. Have a good one. Geo