Craftsman rider - no spark

Old 08-10-12, 10:19 AM
Craftsman rider - no spark

Craftsman 917-271011 rider with a Kohler 15.5 hp engine. This has the "C" operator presence system with two relays. I cannot get spark at the plug. If I unhook the kill wire from the coil I get spark. Plug it back in no spark. I have tried changing both relays and still no spark. I have the parking brake locked on. I can hear the fuel solenoid clicking when I turn the key. I have tested the seat switch off the tractor with a multimeter and it tests ok although the parking brake being set should override the seat switch. Where else should I be checking - thank you in advance. Just a note here -- I did not use the 109748x relays, I went to autozone and picked up two generic type five pin relays. I thought all relays were pretty much the same.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-12, 12:30 PM
Well it seems not all relays are alike. I took the original apart and noticed a broken wire. I forced the contact switch cloased, turned the key and got spark. I ordered the correct relay.

Old 08-10-12, 08:56 PM
did you possibly reverse the normal open /normal close connections on the autozone relays?

Old 08-11-12, 04:56 AM
38racing - the original relay was a normally open type. The one I bought was a normally closed. I could have changed the wiring however I decided to leave it in the original configuration. I document everything I work on however changing the wiring would have probably drove the next guy who had to work on it crazy.

Old 08-11-12, 05:55 AM
An automotive relay I bought recently (5 terminal) can be wired for either NO or NC depending on what you need it to do. Just a matter of changing wire from 1 terminal to another.