Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Looking for new rider-mower

WI

08-11-12, 07:59 PM   #1  
Looking for new rider-mower

Anyone have a suggestion as to a good value rider mower...? We currently have a 2005 Murray, 18.5 HP, 42" deck. Haven't had any problems with it 'cept for the carb needle valve leaking when it sat a while. Put a shutoff valve in the gas line to fix it. The property is only about 1/2 acre, so don't need a monster machine.
Is there anything decent out there under $1000...?
Thanx....Charlie.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-12-12, 12:34 AM   #2  
I think a craftsman made by AYP is the best bang for the buck. Some craftsmans are made by MTD and those are junk in my opinion. Get one with a model number that starts with 917 and that will be an AYP product.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WI

08-12-12, 08:05 AM   #3  
Hey cheese....
Thanx for the input....will get to Sears this week.
Regards, Charlie.

LA

08-12-12, 02:32 PM   #4  
Charlie,

I'll be the first to tell you that opinions are worth every penny you pay for them...but...I own one of those Craftsman riding mowers that starts with 917. Bought it new in 2006. It's been a pain in the butt since I bought it and I wouldn't recommend anyone buying one. I can't tell you how many times I've wished I bought something else. I don't know what it would be but I do know what it wouldn't be! I'm waiting for something big enough to break so I can justify buying a new one.

AR

08-12-12, 02:52 PM   #5  
Hey Charlie, I have one of those AYP Craftsman 917's and I bought it new in 2001 and it is still going strong. It has a 15.5 Briggs engine on it and it is a 42" cut and here in Arkansas many people break the spindles off because they are trying to mow the grass to the roots, I haven't broken a spindle housing yet. But just beware of the 917 units if it is used look it over closely, beware of sloppy steering, and sloppy wheel bushings, just check it over real good. Happy Hunting.

WI

08-15-12, 11:49 AM   #6  
UH-OH....!!! Conflicting opinions...LOL
Thanx for all the input guys.
Went to Sears....all their riders are made by MTD now, 'cept for the larger ones made by Husqvarna.
Maybe I'll just get another Murray...this one's 8 years old; carb needle valve the only problem....
so far; read that same problem from other owners of the same model. Oh well......
Anyone have a goat for sale....cheap...?
Thanx again.....Charlie

AR

08-15-12, 02:53 PM   #7  
Murray is out of Business,,,,good luck.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-15-12, 11:09 PM   #8  
Husquvarna is AYP... same thing.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

08-17-12, 09:30 AM   #9  
What dealers do you have local to you? I'd personally would recommend buying a machine from a local dealer over a box store. For a 1/2 acre lawn to just cut grass, Ariens has nice machines that are built by Husqvarna. And Deere has the new "D" series. Snapper and Simplicity also make nice machines.

CANADA

08-17-12, 09:49 AM   #10  
Not to change the topic too much, but have you considered or tried replacing/repairing the carb?

Might be a cheap solution if the mower has done you well.

Search this Thread