Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere 316 with no spark

IN

08-12-12, 07:14 AM   #1  
John Deere 316 with no spark

Hi All,

Bought a John Deere 316 the other day. Previous owner said something was wrong with the engine and that he bought a new one. It had been sitting for two years in his barn. I got it home and put in a new battery, turned the key on and the dash lights came on. Good sign. Checked the oil and pulled the plugs so I could turn the engine over by hand. Pistons are both going in and out, so no broken rods. Engine turns over good. Problem so far is it has no spark. With a test light, it does have power to the positive side of the coil with the key on. When I turn the engine over, I get a pulsing light on the negative side of the coil. I'm thinking I will need to replace the points at least. Any other things I might need to check before ordering my parts?

John Deere 316
M00316X316363

Onan engine
B43E-GA016/42
L843858044

Thank you,
Cory

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-12-12, 12:34 PM   #2  
I'd say the points are working if it's pulsing. Might change the condenser and check the points and point gap to be sure they are clean and gapped right. With the light flashing, the coil should be sparking unless the condenser is shot.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IN

08-12-12, 03:34 PM   #3  
Went out today to see if I could find anything else going on with engine. Tried to start it and check and see if I was maybe getting a weak spark that I didn't notice before. I could hear something arcing when I turned it over. Looked down on top of the engine and could see a nice spark coming from the point set. It was sparking against the linkage rod. Someone had taken the points off of where they go and they were just sitting on the intake manifold. I figured out where they should go. The is a hole where the points bolt that looks like it would be a cam drive that opens the points. Am I right?
Where can I find a parts breakdown so I can get the replacement parts I need to get this back together? Haven't found one for an Onan engine.

Thank you,
Cory

PA

08-17-12, 09:40 AM   #4  
If you go to Deere's web site you can navigate to their parts section. It will require you to register and pick a local dealer, but you can set the parameters so that you don't get any e-mails cluttering up your in-box. Once that is done, you can search by model number, in your case 316 and get parts diagrams, with part numbers. Adding any needed parts to your shopping cart will give you current list price. I'll print out the shopping cart list and take it to my Deere dealer and buy the parts. It gives him the numbers to look up, and makes everyones day a little easier.

Search this Thread