Sthil FS 45, Flooding

Old 08-14-12, 09:10 PM
Sthil FS 45, Flooding

OK, Here it is. It died as the gas was almost to the bottom of the tank. I filled the tank and it wouldn't start. I pulled the plug and tested for spark. OK at the plug but fuel sprayed from the spark plug hole when turning it over by starter cord.

Any suggestions as to what to look for when I inspect the carb's inards? I did a carb kit two years ago - $20 got me out the door. Stihl repairman at local hardware store said its not cost effective to fix a unit as it was $50 prepaid
to inspect the unit. Apparently its a throwaway technology.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-12, 11:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most likely the check valve in the carb is bad. The prices of new carbs has really dropped lately and some are about $20 brand new. This might be the better option.

Old 06-03-13, 11:44 AM
I have a similar problem on my FS45. I initially thought it wouldn't start because the muffler was plugged, but upon taking it off, it was filled with fuel.

Going to get a new carb this week and try that out. Will post back if it fixes the over-fueling issue.

Old 06-04-13, 05:25 PM
I think the fs45 used a tank vent. Check that it is clear, sometimes a clogged vent system will create a vaccum in the fuel system and cause it to continue to pull gas like a vapor lock. loosen your gas cap when this happens and if upon release you hear it loose pressure it would be a good sign to check your vent. I hope this helps

Old 06-17-13, 09:15 AM
I put a new carb on mine ($29 later), instead of rebuilding the carb, and now it starts and runs like a champ! No more flooding...

Old 06-17-13, 11:18 AM
@ Bob,,the metering diaphram could be hard and holding the needle open allowing fuel to flow into engine causing flooding.