Stihl 45 Weedeater.

Old 08-16-12, 08:15 PM
Stihl 45 Weedeater.

The flexible drive on my weedeater came out of the cutterhead. It was apart for carb rebuild and I took all of the plastic housings off the unit to wash and clean it thoroughly. When I tried to feed the flexible shaft through the aluminum extension housing it would not engage the cutterhead. I have the spool off and still cannot get the flexible shaft to engage. Approximately 1 inch of the flex shaft protudes from the aluminum housing.

I'm a retired shop teacher and have taught auto, welding, machine shop, etc and I'm not inept. At least I wasn't before I turned 70.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-12, 08:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you pull te shaft out the end of the tube where the head mounts, engage it to the head and then push it back in place while mounting the head?

Old 08-16-12, 09:51 PM
Tried it. Pulled flexible shaft out of aluminum tubular housing several inches and engaged it to the motor(what you call the head?). Tried to slide motor and flexible SHAFT FORWARD AS A UNIT but it still would not engage the steel shaft with hex nut that turns the string cutter head.

Can't find equivalent of motors manual with parts drawing on the internet.