Homelite Pressure Washer Runs Shortly Then Dies

Old 08-18-12, 06:05 PM
Homelite Pressure Washer Runs Shortly Then Dies

Bought a Homelite Gas Pressure Washer a couple months ago. It did a great job on my deck back in late June. I recently tried to use it again and it ran for about five minutes and died. I figured I had just run out of fuel, so I filled it back up. Now, it runs for about 25-30 seconds and then kills. If you immediately try to start it only runs for a few seconds then kills again. If you wait for about five minutes, it'll again run for about 25-30 seconds.

I initially put too much gas in it and siphoned some out, so it's at the fill line. Throttle is up, choke is off, spark plug appears fine, and air filter looks brand new. I'm holding the sprayer's trigger when starting it, and the water is on. None of the wires appear disconnected, and I've tried to let it run with the gas cap both tight and loose. I've done everything on my normal checklist, and don't know what to try next.

It definitely seems like a fuel/air issue of some sort. They say not to use E15 fuel, but I believe I've used nothing more than E10, which is supposedly okay.

If anyone thinks it helps to know, it's a Model UT80522D, 2700 PSI washer.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-12, 08:01 PM
It sounds like you may have gotten some water in the carburetor. If you are able take off float bowl and clean it out , but then again I don't know what engine in on it. Anyways that's what it sounds like to me. Good luck

Old 08-19-12, 05:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know anything about that specific model but have you checked the oil level? is the unit sitting on level ground?

Old 08-19-12, 10:43 PM
You may have been dead on with this one. The Homelite pressure washer, and apparently their generators as well, have an automatic shut-off if the oil gets too low. That would explain why it would run for a bit, and then for less time, since the oil would go up into the engine and lower the level until it settled back down. I changed the oil out and refilled it to the proper level, and it ran perfectly fine for a few hours this afternoon.

I assumed the oil was not the issue since it's so new, but I guess I have been running it a lot more than I realized. This is a great safety feature for goofs such as myself.

Thanks for the help. I definitely learned something new today.

Old 08-20-12, 05:35 AM
Good to hear problem is solved.

Old 07-17-14, 04:47 PM
Unhappy powerwasher almost starts

4 yo, I bought a powerwasher from Lowes with a Briggs and Staton engine. It was running, but died when washing. It sort of spewed out dark smoke and studders and stopps. When I pull the cord, it almost starts, but not completely. The engine turns over once and dies. I opened apart to mechanism which pressurizes the water, thinking that something seized up. It looks ok, but hard to take apart. Do you fill the chamber with oil?

Old 07-18-14, 03:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the smoke came out of the exhaust I'd suspect it's a problem with the engine. Have you checked the fuel and ignition?