Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Murray Riding Mower-Peerless Transmission 930-032 shifter frozen

GA

08-20-12, 02:27 PM   #1  
Murray Riding Mower-Peerless Transmission 930-032 shifter frozen

Shifter in my Murray riding mower is frozen. I can force it into R and 1st gear, but nothing else. I suspect the gears inside are rusted as the mower was under a tarp that leaked!
I've found a diagram of the Peerless/Tecumseh 930.032 tran but it doesn't show me where all the bolts are that hold the darn thing up under the tractor and w zero clearance underneath I can't inspect it properly.

Any help?

Also, is it OK to tip the mower onto it's backside-tailend to work on it?

Thanks a million! My grass is knee high........

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-21-12, 06:33 PM   #2  
spray some PBlaster at the point where the shifter enters the top of the tranny and work it back and forth, spray more, repeat, until it shifts normally. There are needle bearings in this area that tend to get rusty, especially if the mower sits outside and grass accumulates on top of the tranny. If this doesn't do it, you'll probably have to remove and disassemble the tranny. It's not advised to flip the mower. You'll need to raise the back end, remove the rear wheels, then the tranny will drop down easily.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread