Generac 7550 XEL Generator with carburator gas leak

Old 08-25-12, 10:49 AM
Generac 7550 XEL Generator with carburator gas leak

Hi: Would appreciate any feedback. I went to test my generator today. As soon as I turned on the fuel flow valve, gas began leaking from air filter. I took air filter assembly off. On the carbeurator side facing outward ther are 3 holes. 2 holes are for bolting carb in place. The 3rd hole was spilling out gas like a faucet. This hole does not go completely through to the other side of carb. Gaskets were still in place. I removed carb to see if I could find trouble but not able to do so. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-12, 10:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The float needle is not closing off the gas flow... probably stuck with old gas varnish. Take the bowl off, remove the needle, clean it, the float, the carb, and use a q-tip soaked with carb cleaner to clean the hole the needle fits into.

Old 08-25-12, 12:28 PM
Thanks for your quick feedback! I'll give it a try!

Brad

Old 08-26-12, 06:10 AM
Thanks for your response. I took off bottom bowl. Cannot find float needle. There is a white, round plastic plastic piece with little movement. In middle of white plastic, there is double barelled metal stem extending a 1/2" beyond plastic. One barrel has rubber cork in it. The larger barrel has has hole in it with another barrel inside it that doesn't seem to be clogged. On the side of the larger barrel ther was a nut that I unscrewed. It has a little hole in it but no needle in it. It is a Nikki, # A4600, C126231 (46C). Hope to hear back from you today because we're in south florida with Hurricane Issac heading our way. Thanks, Brad

Old 08-26-12, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The white round piece is the float. Take the pin out that holds it and it will pull out with the needle attached.

Old 08-26-12, 02:47 PM
stopped fuel leak, not working

took carb out and cleaned it, found float and needle and cleaned them, put it back together. Battery dead so tried to start with rope pull, gas valve on, fuel flow on, choke on, and idle control switch off. Thanks for your help. No fuel leaking but can't get it running. Any ideas on this one? Has oil, too. Brad

Old 08-26-12, 08:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something is probably stopped up in the carb. Is the bowl filling w/gas? Did you clean the jets in the carb?