Generac 4000xl carburetor - Nikki C1535/C120012

Old 09-03-12, 11:54 AM
Generac 4000xl carburetor - Nikki C1535/C120012

Brand new member here and I hope this has not been answered before. I looked but could not find anything on point.

engine is B&S EHC 00952-2
Carburetor is Nikki C1535/C120012
Generator has not been used for 9 yrs +/-

I did general tune up on engine - new plug, new oil/filter, compression checked out at 120#. Cleaned carburetor in some solvent my mechanic says he can't buy any more and it came out looking like new. Did not replace gaskets but this is a low time engine and they look good.

I thought I had removed all plastic/rubber parts before soaking but when he blew the carb out with compressed air a small rubber cylindrical plug (maybe 1/4" long) blew out. Neither of us could see immediately where it came from. When I got a chance to sit down and study it the plug appeared to have come from a port on the side of the carb directly opposite the fuel inlet and that's where I replaced it (that was the only place it appeared to fit). I have not been able to find an exploded view of this carb to see if I got back in the right place.

The engine started on the second pull and idles smoothly. But when under load it runs rough and sounds liked it's running rich. Lots of black exhaust smoke and spark plug has lots of soot on it after less than ten minutes of running. There is just the smallest amount of wear on the needle but it doesn't look bad.

Can anyone tell me if I got the plug replaced properly and if so could there be some other cause for the rough engine when under load? Many thanks for any assistance out there.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-12, 02:23 PM
that plug belongs in the center post in the short leg other side from main jet.

Old 09-03-12, 03:19 PM
aj-allen,

Many thanks for that info. It solved the problem. The generator appears to run perfectly now. Thanks again.

Bill