Honda 5.5 hp eng. Gas in oil

Old 03-13-05, 11:59 AM
EarthMother
Visiting Guest

Hi, Guys,
I'm back again for your help. I have a pressure washer with a 5.5 HP Honda engine. It wouldn't start for me, so in doing a run-down on what the problem could be, I found a LOT of gasoline in the engine oil. I changed the oil and started over, trying to start the unit. No luck. After 30 or so pulls, I inspected the oil and found gas in it, AGAIN. Someone suggested there might be trash in the carb, so I pulled the gas tank, cleaned it and the gas line. I inspected the carb for crud and found only a small amount of grit in the carb bowl. Before I ruin more oil and run the risk of blowing a gasket (mine), what else should I check? As always, your help is tremendously appreciated. You guys are the BEST.
Nancy

Old 03-14-05, 01:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Nancy!

When you remove the bowl from the bottom of the carb, you'll see a brownish colored plastic circle hanging down. This is the float. Pull the pin that holds it on, and the float and needle will come out. Shake the float near your ear. If you hear gas sloshing in it, replace it. You may need to replace the needle to stop the leaking, but try cleaning it first, and wet a Q-tip with carb cleaner and swab out the hole that the needle goes into and see if it stops leaking.

Old 03-14-05, 09:24 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Hopefully the steps Cheese mentioned will be all you need. I have a 5.0 HP on a mower now with the same problem. The needle and seat do not seal. The float and needle have been replaced leaving only the seat as the problem. The seat can not be replaced and requires a new carb.
You can check your work without ruining ne more oil and hopefully not blowing a gasket of any kind
With the carb removed from the engine, attatch a fuel source to the inlet, turn on the fuel valve hold carb level and wait and see if gas begins to fill the throat.

Wish ya better luck with yours, I am off to shop for a Carb

Old 03-14-05, 04:24 PM
EarthMother
Visiting Guest

Thanks for the info. I'll change out the float and needle valve when I get the time sometime this week. I'll let ya know how it turns out. Thanks, again.

Old 03-18-05, 08:06 PM
EarthMother
Visiting Guest
Gasoline in oil -- Pressure washer

Well, Cheese...or anyone with carburetor expertise.
I removed the carb float...No gas trapped inside. The needle valve was clean and the spring looked good to me. The carb, by in large, looked clean as a whistle. What's the next thing to check? Why do I have a sneaking suspicion that your response to my not finding a bad float is going to be...Uh Oh~! Could possibly the gasoline in the float evaporated in the last week or so? The pressure washer has had an empty gas tank for that long. And just as a note: the second oil change was drained and the plugs left out in order for any fugitive gasoline from the oil-gas mix to evaporate. Thanks for taking the time to try to help. I look forward to hearing from you.
Nancy

Honda 5.5 hp GX160 engine

Old 03-18-05, 11:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The float is most likely ok. Try this before going further: Buy a can of automotive carburetor cleaner (aerosol can) and clean the rubber tip on the needle well. Then do the Q-tip thing I mentioned earlier. Put it back together and see if it leaks. It may just have some residue on the needle and seat from the evaporated gas that was left behind when it was drained. If it still leaks, replace the needle.

Old 03-19-05, 10:48 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
I just had a 5.0 hp honda carb I had to replace due to leaking fuel into the crankcase if the valve was left open for any amount of time while the engine was not running. I tried a new needle and float with no luck. I am still not so sure the leak was at the needle tip/seat...the plastic unit which includes the seat and hinge point for the float, is some how pressed or fitted into the body of the carb. So it may be possible for fuel to leak around the needle and seat seal...not sure and I could not verify for sure even with extensive bench testing.

The carb I had was a keihn...and the engine is basically a general purpose one made by Honda for a variety of applications.

If your carb is a Zama, there are less expensive alternatives.

Old 03-19-05, 01:15 PM
EarthMother
Visiting Guest
Gasoline in oil -- Honda GX160 5.5 hp

Well...as they say, expect the worst, but hope for the best. I'm going to purchase a 15 cent $(10.00 {$18.00 at the Honda place}) needle valve and cross my fingers, stand on one foot and stick my tongue out. Maybe, just maaaaybe, that'll solve my prob. Thanks for shining your rays of hope my way. Just teasin'. I'll continue work on this problem next weekend. Until then...same time...same station. Join us in the continuuing saga of gas in the OILLLLLLL....

Old 03-25-05, 01:48 PM
EarthMother
Visiting Guest
CHEESE...Gasoline in oil -- Honda GX160 5.5 hp

Well, Cheese, You were correct. I bit the bullet, went to Honda and lucked out on getting the right needle valve. They had an incredible number of valves listed for my engine/carb, it was actually a shot in the dark that I got the right one. I learned one thing, no matter what they tell you on the phone, bring with you to the parts house the engine and carburetor model numbers and the old needle valve.

I popped the new needle valve in, crossed my fingers and toes, and the darn motor cranked on the FIRST pull. I don't think it has EVER done that before. I thank you for sharing your knowledge and should www.DoItYourself.com ever decide to do a commercial for television...all they need to do is ask ME.

Old 03-27-05, 02:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad I was able to help, and thanks for letting us know how it went! As for the commercial, who knows...maybe one day.

Old 09-10-12, 04:05 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas in oil, honda gx160 5.5

Just tried to start pressure washer, would not start, checked ol and gas started to gush out! read threads bout replacing needle valve, since I am not motor mechanical inclined, how to replace needle valve? Anything I need to watch out for?

Old 09-10-12, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Turn the gas valve off, take the bowl off the bottom of the carburetor with a 10mm wrench, take the pin out of the float so it will come off, the needle will come off with the float. Replace the needle and reassemble. Clean the bowl if it has trash in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: