Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Generac Generator won't turn over

CO

09-18-12, 01:02 PM   #1  
Generac Generator won't turn over

I'm stumped so I thought I'd come to the experts. I have a Generac 15K Gasoline Portable generator. It has a "rocker" type switch that you push up to start and down to shut it down. I went out to do my monthly warm up of the generator, pushed the rocker button up and ........ nothing? Not a click, nothing. I thought it might be a dead battery so I replaced it, still nothing. I checked all the connections and everything seems clean and tight. This generator is basically new. I purchased it new a couple years ago and have never used it except to run it for an hour or so every month. I read where someone posted you can take a screwdriver and jump across the starter solenoid. I did that and the starter did spin but wasn't engaging the motor. I suspect something has to engage the starter to the motor before it will turn the motor over?

I'm at a loss of what to do. I live in the Mtns of Colorado and it'll be a 150 mile round trip to take it to Colorado Springs to have it looked at.

If you guys have any ideas of what I should try, and or replace, please let me know.

Thanks,
Brad

Sponsored Links

AR

09-18-12, 02:16 PM   #2  
Check all the ground connection of your wiring, check all connections on the Solenoid. Also you can check the voltage coming out of ignition switch or rocker button that engauges the solenoid,,should be over 7 volts. If that checks out change the solenoid. Good Luck.

FL

09-19-12, 06:34 PM   #3  
Hello Brad,

Look on the back side of your main control panel (receptical panel), You will find a small twist lock fuse holder. Check/replace this fuse and see if that solves your issue.

Oh, There's a start/run circuit board inside the control panel so be careful what you jump.....

Good Luck

Search this Thread