Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda GCV 160 won't start

VA

09-20-12, 07:27 PM   #1  
Honda GCV 160 won't start

I have a relatively new (less than 20 hours) Troy 27 ton logsplitter powered by a Honda GCV 160. I bought this new last year and it ran like a top all season. At the end of the season, I drained out all the gas.

Today, I put new gas in and tried to start it. It just simply won't start. At first, I thought it was fuel related but then I recalled it behaves like and outboard motor does when the kill switch is not functioning. In other words, it doesn't act like its sparking.

So I went to the hardware store and bought a new plug. Still won't start. I am pretty sure it is getting fuel into the carb because you can smell gas when you pull off the air filter.

I have tried various positions on the choke and it just won't turn over. Might there be some sort of kill switch somewhere I am missing? If not, any suggestions on what it could be? Its still under warranty so I could take it back but if its something simple, I would just as soon fix it. Taking it back in is such a PITA.

Thanks to all in advance for your responses.

Sponsored Links

AR

09-20-12, 08:27 PM   #2  
Please make sure fuel shut off is on. Also might take a like bit od fuel and squirt it into the Carburetor, also check for spark first. Good luck.

VA

09-21-12, 03:56 AM   #3  
I have a spark and fuel shutoff is on. I can smell gas in the carb but will try a spray of fuel anyway. Thanks for the tip

Group Moderator

NC

09-21-12, 05:56 AM   #4  
After draining the gas at the end of last season did you then run the engine until it sputtered and died? If not the fuel inside the carburetor may have varnished up clogging the jets or sticking the needle/float valve.

You can also remove the spark plug and pour a teaspoon of fuel into the cylinder. Re-install the spark plug then try starting it. If it fires a few times or runs for a second then you've probably got a gunked-up carburetor.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-21-12, 06:12 AM   #5  
There is also a remote chance that it is low on oil..... just something else to cross off the list

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

VA

09-22-12, 06:07 PM   #6  
Thank you Pilot, your suggestion worked. I put a teaspoon of fuel in the chamber, pulled the starter a couple of times and she fired right up and ran all day.

Thanks again for your advice.

Search this Thread