Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ridng Mower, Throttle Pressure Too Too Stiff

VA

09-29-12, 08:52 AM   #1  
Ridng Mower, Throttle Pressure Too Too Stiff

Have a new Craftsman 247 288842 riding mower 42" cut and Hydrostatic Drive and the amount of foot pressure required to get her moving I believe is far too great, in fact she almost bunny hops when moving from a dead stop, Is there a throttle return spring with less resistance or another slot to hook return spring that give me less resistance, or am I being too critical?

Sponsored Links

AR

09-29-12, 08:59 AM   #2  
If it is new, take it back and get it covered under warrenty.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-29-12, 09:54 AM   #3  
There are no pedal spring adjustments or varied strength replacement springs for the mower, but there should be a nut that adjusts resistance on the transmission itself. Without seeing it myself, it's hard to guess whether it's a problem, or the shifter needs lubricating at the tranny, or if it's just normal and you aren't used to it yet. If you are applying pressure and then the pedal gives suddenly, then you might want to lubricate it or adjust the nut on the tranny where the shifter pivots to decrease the resistance.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

10-03-12, 04:22 PM   #4  
It Just Gets Better

Well ad two mower riders take a ride and tell me accelerator pedal pressure isn't bad. Went looking for the rod that allows the mower to be pushed (free wheel) and did not find one. Moeed today and all went well, pared her and wited for a cool down to put her away. Got on turned key and NADA, not a sound, tried again, same result, raised seat and found the bolt and nut connecting the negative battery cable had gone elsewhere for employment. replace them and started her up, half way to the storage shed, she backfired, so I shur her down , checked fuel level (it was low) put in 3/4 tank of fresh fuel, restarted and now I have no ability to increase engine RPM above idle, she will start and fast idle, but no amount of throttle pressure will increase the RPM, so of course she will not move fore or aft. Pushed her to shed and up on ramps to storage. I initially suspected condensation in the fuel and put some HEET in the fuel tank and let her sit (got dark and no power to my shed). I will restart her tomorrow and see what happens, but it sounds like a broken or disconnected throttle linkage cable, so I will push pedal and see if the carburetor butterfly linkage moves or is the cable slack. Tech guys come Wednesday, and this is a two beer day.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-03-12, 06:10 PM   #5  
Huh? The throttle is in now way connected to the pedals you push. Have you read the owner's/operator's manual? The mower should go faster, but the throttle stays wherever you set it on the dash of the mower.

I looked up your model number and see that you have an MTD product of the most trouble prone kind. Sears mowers used to be all made by AYP, but now that some are MTD, the craftsman name will decline. I originally thought you had a hydrostatic transmission, but now I see you have a varidrive system. I think the best advice I can offer is to tell sears you have problems, take it back, and trade for a model that starts with 917 (ayp), not 247 (mtd) like your model number does.

God bless!

VA

10-04-12, 06:06 AM   #6  
Pedal too stiif

Thanks, finally got my head around it. The system works like a self propelled wlk behind except the go pedal is the part that is done by hand on a walk behind. So, in my case I guess a belt is broken that connects the engine to the drive assembly (if that is how it works).

VA

10-08-12, 01:11 PM   #7  
It Just Keeps Getting Better

Took her back to Sears, got full credit and traded her in on a #28851 which is a Husqvarna built hydrostatic machine. Hope this one works out better.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

10-08-12, 01:21 PM   #8  

That should work out better for you. Last I knew Husqy was still made by AYP, and same as craftsman however, only came with the better options also available on the green units.

AR

10-08-12, 02:23 PM   #9  
@ BFHFixit,,some craftsman being built by MTD, if the model numbers starts with 917 it is AYP. Sounds like more fun.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

10-08-12, 05:00 PM   #10  

@ BFHFixit,,some craftsman being built by MTD, if the model numbers starts with 917 it is AYP. Sounds like more fun.
I am now aware of that, however, as I stated "Last I knew" Husqvarna (Electrolux) was still built by AYP. At least the ones I looked at were only available with the upgraded options IE: Hydrostatic trans, Electric PTO, Heavier gage decks, solid front axle etc. These options were also available on the higher end Craftsman but lower end craftsman had lower end options, IE: lighter gage steel, transaxles, manual PTO...etc.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-08-12, 09:19 PM   #11  
You did the best thing you could have done. The husquvarna (AYP) made mower is a much better mower.

God bless!

Search this Thread