Briggs & Stratton 18hp v-twin

Old 09-30-12, 02:04 PM
Briggs & Stratton 18hp v-twin

Replaced one of the coils on the engine. I am getting spark at the plug but that side is still not working. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-12, 02:19 PM
Hello drew3267,

Remove the valve cover on the offending side and check the valves/rockers and pushrods, A pushrod could have popped out from under the rocker or gotten bent from a hung valve.

Engine model-type and code numbers posted would be helpful in going further.....

Good Luck

Old 09-30-12, 03:05 PM
Everything looks good under the cover. Top arm is a bit loose.

Engine infor 3501777 1137-E1

Thanks

Old 09-30-12, 05:09 PM
drew3267,

Since you found the top "arm" (= rocker arm) loose, It's possible the piston wasn't at TDC (= top dead center) compression stroke or it's out of adjustment. But none the less if you have spark I think you need to make sure the valves are at the correct setting, Follow the diagram below;

There's one other thing I'm thinking but since the valve cover is off it's best to eliminate the valves first at zero cost......

Old 10-02-12, 10:04 AM
Ding...Ding...Ding....We have a winner. I finally got a break to work on the mower and when I went to adjust the rocker arms and found out the lower pushrod had popped out.

Is there anything I should check before trying to reinstall? Or do I just need to make sure they are not bent?

Thanks!!!

Old 10-02-12, 01:53 PM
Fixed the push rod. Still nothing from the cylinder. I check the plug for that cylinder and we are still getting fire.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-02-12, 04:23 PM
I mean I am still getting spark.

Old 10-02-12, 05:21 PM
drew3267,

When you re-installed the push rod you went ahead and checked/adjusted the valves as outlined correct ?

If so, Remove the top cover (flywheel cover) again. Disconnect the small black kill wire from both coils, Set the cover back on with just a couple screws to hold it in place. Start the engine and see if this faulty cylinder now runs, If your carb has a fuel cut-off solenoid on the float bowl the engine will still shut off with the key switch but will run a few seconds after turning the key off before shutting down.

If your carb doesn't have this fuel cut-off solenoid, Loosen the spark plug wires on the spark plugs so they can easily be removed by popping them off with a screwdriver.

Should the engine run as normal with the kill leads disconnected from the coils, There's a faulty diode in that kill lead harness that's causing a feedback making that cylinder skip even though you have spark. There's no substitute for this kill lead harness so you'll need to pick up part# 692319 from your local repair parts dealer.

Good Luck