Honda 20i eu inverter trouble

Old 10-02-12, 12:53 PM
Honda 20i eu inverter trouble

Hi all I need some assistance with sorting out a problem with my generator. It's been great but it's started to muck about. The engine runs great but on start up it either runs full out or at really low idle with no power out put. If I move the throttle by hand using finger technology it will run and charge well for a bit then swing wildly on the throttle in either direction. The Eco throttle is working to a point. I took it to the local Honda dealer and they have no real idea and want to do a process of elimination - replace the throttle adjuster motor $160.00 and them mother board? Has any one had a similar problem.
cheers Colin

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-12, 01:08 PM
Group Moderator
Has this generator sat a long time without being run? I had one of mine (US model EU2000i) that sat forgotten for about 6 months. After I finally got it started it surged badly with the eco throttle on and off. I ran it for 5 minutes with no load then I hooked up a space heater turned on to low which is about half output for the generator and ran it for about 10 minutes to get warmed-up then I slowly alternated the heater between hi, lo and off to exercise the throttle control system. It seemed to work. I've put that generator out so it get used at least once or twice a week and it's been fine ever since.

Old 10-02-12, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your reply. Generator gets regular use of every three weeks or so and always worked a treat. Usually runs a charger in our mobile home when there is not enough sun through solar.

Old 10-03-12, 10:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally, engine surge is caused by lean conditions (carburetor restriction). I am not familiar with this unit though.

Old 10-19-12, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
Someone in town just brought their EU2000i by because they knew I had a couple. It would start fine and as it warmed you could slowly back off the choke but it would eventually start surging and it surged badly whenever the eco throttle was turned on. Since turning the eco throttle on/off did make a difference it seemed the control circuit and throttle servo motor were working. I removed the carburetor enough to take out the float and clean & inspect. Removed the main jet and cleaned, and sprayed every passage & orifice from both directions with carb cleaner to insure they were clear. Reassembled and it's running beautifully.

Old 10-19-12, 09:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your location shows Non US....?

I would also begin by cleaning the carb. Just to eliminate it as the problem.
If it still has the same symptoms, you will need a manual of some sort to check a few things.
You need to know what RPM you need to achieve 50/60 Hz, which ever your household voltage is.
If circuitry is involved, there may be a latch before the gen will be allowed to put out volatage. This is to insure that no appliances are ran at a freq other than specified. The RPM of the engine determines the freq output, and if a relay latch is in the circuit, it must receive a certain voltage to latch in and transfer power.

Once the carburetor is eliminated, you can try to manually throttle it up above the spec RPM, say 4000 as most run under 3800, for a minute or two.

You can also try to start it with a load on it, such as a heater. This can accomplish a couple of things. Generally a load on the generator will cause a load on the engine. The governor reacts and their is a slight over speed. This can recharge a weak field, or provide the voltage to latch the relay.

Service the engine and adjust for proper RPM if that provides any resolution.

I don't know where you are but I would be suspicious of any dealer wanting to begin diagnosing with 160$ part swap. But I would look for a place that specifically does generators. Look for a Kohler Service. Many kohler generators run Honda engines and the techs are familiar with honda's.

Old 10-20-12, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
The EU series operate differently than old, mechanical generators. The voltage & frequency is NOT controlled by the engine. There is no traditional governor or engine rpm adjustment. It is controlled by a computer and servo motor on the carb.

The engine's rpm and power output is varied to produce the required amount of power. So, in use, the generator's rpm is changing as needed depending on the load you put on it. If lightly loaded it purrs quietly at a fast idle. Put a load on it and it rev's up to high rpm's. All the while the output is a stable, clean sine wave at a fixed voltage & frequency. Put an overload on it and it will hold the voltage and frequency to it's limit where it abruptly cuts the output while the engine remains running. There is no brown out or decreased voltage & frequency at overload like with a traditional generator.

From what I can discern the unit is dormant when not running. When you pull the cord to start the output to the outlets is off. The first power generated powers up the electronics and the computer sends commands to the servo motor on top of the carburetor that controls the throttle butterfly's position (performing throttle and governing operations). Once the engine is under control and up to a workable rpm the computer turns on the output to the outlets. All this happens in about a second or less. Basically, before you can let go of the pull cord it's ready for you.

As for the parts price... they are expensive. Simple engine components are about what you'd expect for Honda small engine parts. If it's an electronic part you have to think in terms of what an ecm module for your car would cost. They are only available from Honda and they've got you. If you want to keep your $1'000 generator running you may have to suck it up and pay $160 for a part.