Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Mower Can't Start

CAL

10-07-12, 02:34 PM   #1  
Lawn Mower Can't Start

Hi, don't know which forum should put for my question.
My lawn Mower can't start now because of not using for 2 weeks. I pumped the fuel on the soft rubber button many times but still not start. I have found the gas was leaking to air filter side when I pump the fuel. May the gas can't reach to the engine? The spark plug is ok. Please tell me what's wrong with it and how to fix if anybody knows it. thanks. Rick

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

10-07-12, 04:38 PM   #2  
Hi Ikl818,

If you post what lawn mower you have, others here will be able to help you better.
In the mean time, try to remove the spark plug and pull the engine through several times to clear the cylinder. Remove the air filter. Wipe or blow off the spark plug and re install. With out priming, (not pushing the soft rubber ball) try to start (with the air filter removed). If no start, give the ball one or two push then try again.

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

CAL

10-07-12, 07:35 PM   #3  
Thanks for reply. Actually I had done the way you said, not help. My concern is why gas is flow over to the air filter side when I was pushing the soft rubber ball.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

10-07-12, 08:31 PM   #4  
Most likely when you prime too much... (the soft ball is a primer) should only need 3x push, if you push too much and soak the air filter with fuel, it will not let the engine breathe and will not start.

Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-08-12, 01:12 AM   #5  
I agree. The primer pushes fuel into the carb. It can run towards the air filter or not, it doesn't matter. If you push it too much, you flood it. Have you checked for spark?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AR

10-08-12, 05:54 AM   #6  
Could it be that the float is not seating off to stop the flow of fuel?? Post model and type number of engine and we might know what you are working on.

CAL

10-08-12, 10:40 AM   #7  
Thanks All.
I have re-tried the procedures and pushed 3 times of soft ball so that it is started. It's great. It looks like I pushed too much fuel to the Carb. at the beginning. The model is MTD Yard Machine, 5HP. Thanks anyway.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

10-08-12, 06:09 PM   #8  
Thanks for the report...as one infamous DIY'er once said..."Success is a wonderful sound"

Peace

Search this Thread