General questions about stabilizer

Old 10-08-12, 07:39 AM
General questions about stabilizer

I have a general question about using fuel stabilizer on small machines (lawn tractor, generator, etc)....

From what I can tell you can use stabilizer for a long period of time to keep fuel fresh. Not sure what the time limit is? Why, then, don't we always keep stabilizer in the tank, even if we use the machine frequently? why doesn't all fuel come with stabilizer? Can the 'stabilizing' element of stabilizer be added to fuel? I add such a small amount to a tank full of gas it seems.

Sorry if that's a dumb question but had to ask!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-12, 07:44 AM
Group Moderator
Why would you need stabilizer if the gas was used while still fresh?

I just buy gas for the snow blower and lawn mower in small quantities ($5 at a time) so it gets used before it gets stale (I run each machine dry at the end of the season).

Last edited by stickshift; 10-08-12 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-12, 08:02 AM
I agree with mitch,,,why waste money if gas is fresh??

Old 10-08-12, 08:43 AM
I guess b/c such a small amount of stabilizer can be used on an entire tank. I should clarify I dont use my tractor alot. It might sit for a month or more during the hot months. I was just thinking why not always keep stabil in there just to be sure. I dont think its too much of a waste b/c its such a small amount. Maybe less than $1 for a 2 gallon gas tank.

Anyway, Mitch, I'm glad you stated that at the end. I always run my generator and snowblower completely dry. Glad to hear that's what you recommend. So if its sitting dry how often should I run it, or at all?

Old 10-08-12, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you add fresh gas on a regular basis or if you run the tank and carb dry at the end of the season, you probably will be just fine.

If, on the other hand, you have fuel sitting around or in un run equipment for several months or longer - especially with ethenol in it, a stabilizer may help to reduce gum / varnish in the carb and tank. Ethenol tends to absorb water which is not good for motors and stabilizers supposedly reduce this problem.

One major brand says theirs protects fuel for at least a year and another brand says theirs is good for two years or longer. This is an annual debate on another forum (motorcycle) where the engine might not be fired up for two - four months.

Old 10-08-12, 09:09 AM
Group Moderator
I think fuel stabilizers help prevent varnish from developing and can do so for a year or two. I don't stabilizers do anything to prevent the lighter components of gasoline from vaporizing away. Without the lighter compounds I think gas it harder to ignite. After long term storage it may not be varnished but it also lacks the full "bang" of fresh gas.

Funny that this came up. This weekend I ran the gas out of my gas powered water pumps, prepping them for winter storage.

Old 10-08-12, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
If you are concerned about fuel going stale you would get much better life from fuel if you were to switch to the highest grade of premium grade fuel available for your small engines..

I believe it varies by area but where I am the top grade premium has no ethanol which causes most long term storage problems.

Old 10-08-12, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Locally, most gas has ethanol in every grade but there are few stations that have ethanol free gas. It's always higher priced than the 10% ethanol gas but for small engines it's worth the small expensive. Sometimes my farm tractor will set for a month or so without being run/used but I've never had any issue with the fuel going bad. I use fuel stabilizer in my chainsaw, leaf blower and grandson's go kart but not in anything else.

Old 10-08-12, 09:28 AM
Great stuff. Always learning on here. I was just thinking, b/c stabilizer is relatively inexpensive, why not keep it in all my my machines, year round, regardless of how often I use them or not.

Sounds like it would be fine.

Old 10-08-12, 09:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's basically what I do with my grandson's go kart. I never know if he'll be back tomorrow to ride it or if it will sit untouched in the barn for a month or three.

Search this Thread