Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Poulan 31cc weedeater starter rope replacement

AL

10-11-12, 07:21 PM   #1  
Poulan 31cc weedeater starter rope replacement

Now that I fixed my other Poulan weedeater, I'd like to try and get this one up and running as well. It's a Poulan 31cc weedeater and the pull cord is broken. It seems like an easy fix but all of the DIY articles I've found on weedeater pull cord replacement has been for weedeaters that have their pull cord mounted on the rear of the engine. This 31cc Poulan has the pull cord located on the front of the engine just before the shaft. How do I replace this? I'm unsure about how to access the pull cord and recoil mechanism on a weedeater like this.

Sponsored Links

MO

10-11-12, 07:34 PM   #2  
Unfortunately it is a different end of the dog to wag and not as much fun, remove everything until you get to the clutch drum, it has a T20 torx(usually) screw in the center that holds the drum on, remove it, now remove the spark plug, fill the cylinder with pull cord to lock the engine when you need to remove the clutch, now remove the clutch, now I forget, sorry, someone will pick up from here. Have a good one. Geo

AL

10-11-12, 09:01 PM   #3  
I figured it would be difficult. A local small engine repair shop charges $30 to replace pull cords. Considering the amount of disassembling I'd have to do, is $30 a good price for have a place do it for me?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-11-12, 09:59 PM   #4  
Sounds quite reasonable to me.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MO

10-12-12, 10:00 AM   #5  
Something tells me they weren't talking about that type of pull cord, if they will do it for $30 it's a deal, however, is the weedeater worth $30, as a rule of thumb trimmers with the starter in front are lower quality that the ones with the starter on the rear and when something breaks it isn't cost effective to repair. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread