Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sealing the bead on a JD Tractor tire

CT

10-21-12, 04:12 PM   #1  
Sealing the bead on a JD Tractor tire

I just plugged a hole on a rear tire on my John Deere. After a couple of weeks the beads started leaking. The Rims are in great shape no dents, however when I cleaned them a bit of paint chipped of maybe just enough to cause the leaks?

I was wondering what I could use around the house to seal it besides that green slime or the flat tire fixer. Those products make such a mess inside, I eventually would like to repair the wheel/tire with a tube.
thx

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-21-12, 04:43 PM   #2  
If you "plugged" it, you poked another hole in the tube. Unless it is a newer tractor, most rear tires are tube type, not tubeless, so you must pull the tube out, repair it and stuff it back in. The air you are experiencing is the air being forced from the tube to the rim, where it will leak out. Post a picture of the stem area just to make sure.

Edit, my mistake, I find that most newer rims are actually tubeless, but we still need to know for sure yours is, so the pix would help.

Last edited by chandler; 10-21-12 at 05:13 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-21-12, 06:07 PM   #3  
Yeah, mower tires are tubeless. Sometimes people put tubes in them, but they are tubeless. When I have a leaking bead, it is often just dry. I pry the bead back a bit and dribble some oil down in the bead and let it run down both sides to coat the bead area, then pump it back up and wipe away the excess oil. Works great!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-22-12, 03:16 AM   #4  
That's why I edited my post. I forgot about John Deere calling it's lawn units "tractors". I have a Ford 640 and they stand 4' tall and require a quite expensive tube, so my mind was on a big boy.

CT

10-22-12, 06:59 AM   #5  
Chandler
Definatly Tubless. Yes Lawn mower.Forgot to mention that. I completley took wheel apart it needed a good cleaning, like I mentioned a bit of paint came off, thought that may be the problem.
Cheese Will try the oil trick. thanks
AL
PS wheres a good source for tubes? and some 16 x 6.5 tires? ebay or elsewhere?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-22-12, 10:29 AM   #6  
Walmart sells them, tractor supply, or ebay if the shipping doesn't kill the deal.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread