Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Husky chainsaw

CO

10-29-12, 05:28 PM   #1  
Husky chainsaw

Maybe someone can help me figure this thing out... http://i.imgur.com/oW3z6.jpg

I bought what I think is a Husky Rancher model 55 chainsaw. I haven't been able to find much info on this at all. I bought it about 5 years ago used from a guy and he gave me 5 chains with it. So I bought a chain sharpener and have used the saw a lot over the years. I now need to buy a new chain and here is where the problem starts.

A 16" chain was too small for the stock bar (not in pic) and an 18" was too big. I then saw a number, 437, on the bar and this convered to 17.2". So I am thinking I have an off-sized bar. So I buy a bar (18" - it is the one in the pic) from the orange big box store and an 18" chain. Only the 18" chain is too small. What is in the pic is the new 18" bar with a 20" chain. Problem with the 20" chain is it doesn't mesh with the gears on the end of the bar as the chain goes through the groove.

Ugh.

Anyone know what I need to do to sort this mess out?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-29-12, 06:35 PM   #2  
You need to not only get the right length chain, but you need one with the right pitch and gauge (width). The best thing to do would be to take a chain to a saw shop and let them match the gauge, pitch, and number of links as they cut a new chain from a roll of chain for you. Probably will be as cheap or maybe cheaper than the packaged chains at the store anyway.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CO

10-29-12, 09:38 PM   #3  
where in colorado are you?

Search this Thread