Lawn mower engine starts but quickly dies

Old 08-21-11, 08:59 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lawn mower engine starts but quickly dies

I have a 6.75hp B&S engine on a Toro 22in Recycler lawn mower. It has no choke and no primer bulb. The engine starts but then rapidly slows and dies. I have done the following:

-- New air filter (was very dirty)
-- Cleaned carb bowl and holes in bolt (weren't really dirty)
-- Replaced fuel line & installed a fuel filter in line (figured couldn't hurt)
-- Emptied and refilled gas (is untreated but less than 30 days old)

The only notable thing that happened before that problem started was that I changed the oil. I tilted mower and drained from top *without* emptying gas first -- don't know if that could have caused this?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Laurence
Leesburg, VA

Old 08-21-11, 12:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Does gas flow freely with the bowl off? Will it do better without the air filter?

Old 08-21-11, 05:37 PM
L
Thanks, cheese. I had disconnected the gas when I opened the carb, so I don't know -- would have to open it again tomorrow. I haven't tried without the filter, but will do so also. Will report back.

One thing I should also have mentioned: The problem is the same even after taking off the gas cap. :\

Old 08-22-11, 11:24 AM
L
Upon restarting today it started very slow, almost cutting out, but then strengthened & actually cut grass for about two minutes before slowing again and dying. After that it was back to same routine, starting but dying almost immediately. I removed the air filter; it appeared to make no difference. After the engine cooled a little I removed the bowl again. When I unpinched the fuel line, the gas ran out in a small, pretty steady stream. Waiting for gas to evaporate now, but I assume it'll be the same: Starts, then cuts out.

Old 08-22-11, 12:18 PM
L
Update: Started it again and it is running fine. Perhaps removing the carb bowl again did the trick? In any case -- thank you. All the things I tried were based on your advice in other threads here, and I am very grateful for the service you provide on this site.

Old 11-02-12, 06:03 PM
B
I have same issue with Newer B&S 7.0hp Craftsman Walk Behind Mower. Prime it and starts, runs 5 seconds, shuts off. I removed gas cap...no change. Cleaned air filter...no change...removed air filter...no change, took bolt out from bottom of carb bowl, drained all gas, cleaned holes in screw, replaced bowl and tightened screw, added new gas...no change? Any other ideas? Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: