Can a Chainsaw lose its temper?

Old 11-03-12, 09:47 AM
Can a Chainsaw lose its temper?

Can a chainsaw lose the temper of the blade, if somebody used it without the greasing oil?

I've rented a chainsaw from the store, and the blade seemed sharp. However it does not cut much after it has penetrated the wood for a couple of inches. I was wondering if that could be caused by lost temper, by the previous user (who perhaps didn't add the cool down oil in the reservoir). What I'm thinking is that if the saw didn't have oil in its reservoir, it heated too much and it lost its temper. In turn with lost temper, even a recently sharpened tool would become dull very quickly.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-12, 10:12 AM
The bar oil is to lube and protect the bar from wear, it is unlikely the chain could get hot enough to loose temper. It is more likely the chain is just dull or not properly sharpened. When it is cutting is the chips large or small, if the chips are fine dust the teeth can be sharp but the drags/rakers are too high and the teeth can't touch the wood, so file down the drags/rakers. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-03-12, 10:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

Rest assured, when chainsaw does not start or run well....I "LOSE" my TEMPER quickly...HA HA.

However it does not cut much after it has penetrated the wood for a couple of inches.
Most common cause is not chain or bar temper nor always sharpening but rather depth gages just before the cutter. Heating of the chain causes it to expand which causes more free play on the bar. Thus the chain hangs farther down on the bottom of the bars rail. More likely at the time to slip off bar, etc.

Bar rail itself prone to heat also. Most likely also as a result of a lack of chain and bar rail lube. Chain and bar rail oil not only lubes and cools chain and bar rail but it also helps to keep bar rails center slot (Track) clean of chips and sawdusts.

If the rail becomes to warm or hot, becomes prone to flex or flexing during cutting. Also takes some of the tempering out of it. Which then results in a permanent bend, angle or un-evenness. Un-evenness of the rails guides is where chain rides in. Rails if worn more on one rail side then the other side causes angle cuts. Chain does not cut straight.

Recommended service to bar rail is to turn it over every other chain sharpening. Which helps to keep both sides of the rail tracks straight. Chain saw shapening service shops should have a "Bar Rail" grinder for the purposes of truing the rails sides evenly.

Lack of proper type of bar rail lube, not oil, can and does cause several problems. Even can quickly result in dulling of the chain.

If a chain produces wood chips, it's sharp but if it produces saw dust or to small of chips it's dull. If the chain will not feed itself downward cutting logs say or during cutting without to much hand pressure on the machine the depth gages are set or lowered correctly.

If chain produces saw dust and not chips or will not easily cut through wood without to much hand pressure down wards or cross ways, the gages are to high. suppose to be checked and set if need be at sharpen time. However, not all sharpening shops or personnel do so. I do it on every chain sharpening at my own shop. I am in that vocation also in my present years of retirement. In such for more then 25 yrs.

Gage distance lower then the cutting tooth is about .025 (thousandth) below cutter tooth for most chains and or on residential machines.

Regards and Good Luck, Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Forums Monitor, Manager and Sharpening Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services.

Trail & Errors, Practice & Patience creates perfect sharpening results.
Safety Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save" "May Be Your Own!"

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-03-12 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-03-12, 02:31 PM
Thanks. I get the gist of what you are saying, but do not understand completely the details of it. Pr4obably as you and Geo imlply, the sharpening had not been done with the right tolerances. I returned the chainsaw to the store, and they gave me another one with a new chain in it. This one goes through the wood like butter.

Old 11-03-12, 02:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
gciriani

Glad you got another rental machine. I knew you rented the machine.

Much of the info I posted above was also intended for others whom may read this thread to also know as well. Some members sharpen their own chains.

Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Forums Monitor, Manager and Sharpening Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company." Complete Saw and Tool Sharpening Services.

Trail & Errors, Practice & Patience creates perfect sharpening results.
Safety Reminder: "Work Shop Safety Is No Accident."

Sharpeners Quote:
"I can sharpen almost anything, except a dull mind."

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save" "May Be Your Own!"