Homelite Super XL

Old 11-09-12, 04:46 PM
Homelite Super XL

Hello everybody, I think I know the answer to this question but I want to make sure. I am working on an oldie goldie,,,,Homelite Super XL and when I but it on it's side gas runs out of gas tank lid. So I purchased a used one on E-bay, same thing. Is there suppose to be a duck bill in the center of this cap?? Which there isn't. Thanks Also this saw runs great and is a manual oiler. Customer wants to put it on Craig's list.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-12, 06:00 AM
Caps/tanks vent in different ways, mowerdude. It may not have the duckbill. If you have a leaker, I'd replace the cap with a new one. They're not too expensive.

Is it leaking out the top of the cap or is there a chance the mating surface to the tank is messed up?

A manual oiler puts it back there, but there's a lot to be said about having one.

Old 11-10-12, 10:42 AM
These caps are about $39.00,,,I bought a used one through e-bay and it is just like the one I have. The vent is on the bottom of the cap near the gasket that seals the cap to the tank. It has got to be something simple. Thanks

Old 11-10-12, 02:39 PM
$39.00!!..You're kidding. I wonder if a cap from another brand would work. I don't think you'd get the cap price back from the sale of the saw.

Old 11-10-12, 05:21 PM
If I can get this saw up and running, which it is running. He has been selling them on Craigs list for around $200.00. CRAZY!!! I think I know a man that has a blue super XL and I think it has a cap on it,,,,I'll have to check him out. Check out e-bay and type in Gas cap for Homelite super XL,,,you'll be amazed.,,,I was I bought a used one for $10.00 plus freight and get the same thing!!!

Old 11-10-12, 06:12 PM
Yea, looks like $25.00 all the way up to $300.00. Must be a decent saw. Never had one of those. The manual oiler sure wouldn't bother me, though. I've cut a lot of wood with those.

Old 11-10-12, 09:14 PM
When these saw's are right they are a beast, but when they are messed up they are JUNK!! He is also putting a 30" bare on some of these. It would kill me!!

Old 11-10-12, 09:45 PM
I found a cap on e-bay,,,now I know whats missing.

Old 11-11-12, 08:47 AM
30 in bar would be a little too much. You aren't going to pull a 30 inch cut with that saw. You see oversized bars on saws as a selling point, but all it's good for is the extra links to put off sharpening.

Let us know what you found out. It may help someone with a similar problem.

Old 11-11-12, 11:44 AM
I'll keep you all informed and add a picture for future references.
I too think 30" bar is to much but he has been selling these things like this very quickly...I wouldn't want to do it!