Testing safety switches

Old 11-12-12, 11:26 AM
Testing safety switches

I don't do a lot of riding mowers (No space to work on them), but I've gotten a couple in recently with no start conditions at all and after hours of testing they both have come down to safety switches.Does anyone have a good method of testing the things. I've been able to make them run eventually but it takes forever to find the "bad" switch. Ive located the bad switch finally with using a contiuity tester and isolating the correct one but I think I've just been lucky.What is rest of the world doing out there.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-12, 01:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would check the manual on each and determine where all the safety switches are located, then short them out, thereby eliminating them in the process. Of course you, being a pro, should know the dangers involved with this and use it for diagnosis only, unshorting them once you find the faulty one, by process of elimination.

Old 11-12-12, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I just use a test light and verify that I have the 12 volt signal from the start circuit at the keyswitch and then check through the safety switches until I find the one where the 12 volt signal is lost.

Search this Thread