Homelite LRX5600 generator.

Old 11-25-12, 02:51 PM
Homelite LRX5600 generator.

Hello, Thanks for all information in advance. My generator was working fine and my son borrowed it to use for his welding machine out in the woods. after about an hour the generator quit generating. It has set for several months and I'm trying to decide on fixing it verses getting another. May question is what is the most likely thing that went wrong with it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-12, 03:20 PM
You'll need to provide more information. Did the engine stop, or did the engine continue to run, and the power stopped?

How old is the generator, and what type of condition was it in? Any rust? Has it ever been run in the rain?

Was the gas stabilized (with Stabil or something similar)? How old was the gas in the machine?

When was the oil changed last? Did he add oil? My generator repairman/neighbor told me that he has seen generators stop running when they are down only a few ounces in oil.

A common problem with a generator is a fuel problem. If it hasn't been run in several months, especially if the gas is not stabilized, the carburetor could be gummed up, among other things. They seem to be fussier than most small engines.

If you provide more info, people here can help.

Generators are hard to buy right now (because of Hurricane Sandy, many companies are back-ordered right now). You might not be able to get the one you want if you want to replace it quickly, so it's probably worth trying to get the machine fixed, unless it is really old and worn out, or the problem is really serious.

On a side note, I'm dying to figure out what your son was doing with a welder out in the woods. Repairing trees?

Old 11-25-12, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A welder can pull a huge amount of current. If the unit runs fine otherwise, there is a good chance it just has a blown diode (overheated from high amps over long periods).

Old 11-26-12, 05:35 PM
the engine runs fine

Then engine runs great on this unit it just quit charging. He was building cattle pens and they had no electricity where they were building them. Would the diode be on the main control board or inside the generator?

Old 11-26-12, 06:37 PM
Group Moderator
Generators are pretty complicated devices. It's the harmony of selected parts that make them work. Fortunately there is an excellent troubleshooting PDF available on Homelite generators published by Travis Chesna. I've left you the link below.

generator basics

Old 11-26-12, 08:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know where the diodes are on that unit. Hopefully the PDF will help.

Old 12-21-12, 03:59 AM
I have replaced the regulator board and a faulty circuit breaker on the generator. I also pulled the cap off of the generator and inspected the brushes and ran a resistance test on the rotor. All of these appear to be fine. I also attempted to flash the generator. All of these lead me to believe that the stator is bad. I'm not sure how to test it. The stator is 300.00 dollars which is more than I care to spend just to try it out. I am looking for used generators for parts. Does anyone know where I can find used generators? This seems easy for most Items but I'm not having any luck with generators.