Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro Blower Vac

OH

11-28-12, 01:20 PM   #1  
Toro Blower Vac

I have a Toro Model 62923 built in 1983. It needs some work on the blower housing. There is a cover that allows me to remove the heavy cast iron blower fan, and the cast iron fan is held on to the engine crankshaft with only a small bolt. I have removed the bolt but the fan has been on the engine shaft for 30 years. What is the best way to remove it?

Last edited by WML13; 11-28-12 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Terminology

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-28-12, 04:27 PM   #2  
I have ruined them before, trying to remove them. Heat, pullers, etc... and it may never come off. The last one I had that came off well was when I took the bolt loose and cranked it up that way. It finally shook loose. This was on a chipper. I left the bolt in to keep it from flying off, but it was loose. I don't recommend doing this for safety reasons, but thought I'd tell you how I did it once...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 11-29-12 at 07:48 PM.

OH

11-29-12, 12:32 PM   #3  
Toro Blower Vac

I actually thought of doing that myself, Great minds think alike I guess. Seems like a redneck solution, but I know how it goes....

MO

11-29-12, 01:12 PM   #4  
Spray the shaft with PB Blaster and smack it with a hammer every day for a week, then it will come off, the smack with the hammer creates a vibration that is supposed to help, don't get in a hurry, it ain't worth a darn if it's broke. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-29-12, 07:52 PM   #5  
The last one I had that wouldn't come off easily got cut off with a torch. I didn't try running it with the bolt loose, but after cooking it red hot and it getting bent with a puller, it wasn't worth saving anyway. Redneck solution it may be, but us rednecks usually get it figgered out one way or another .

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread