Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda GX160 leaking gas. Need advice please

TN

12-03-12, 08:56 AM   #1  
Honda GX160 leaking gas. Need advice please

Recently borrowed a pressure washer from a friend and re-fueled it before leaving town for several days.I had noticed a small leak the prior day so I sat it on an upside down plastic lid for a storage container, just in case. When I returned the entire gas tank had leaked out and was empty. It was apparently a slow leak judging by the looks of the lid it sat on and nothing on the garage floor.

The engine, a Honda GX160 is on a Generac Pressure Washer thatran fine for two days cleaning a large driveway, deck and patio.

I thought I would take it to a trusted shop I have used before to fix. Turns out it will not fit into the car. So, I am going to attempt to do this myself.

1.Is there somewhere I can find a free diagram of the carb to follow?
2. Does it sound like the float valve and/or valve seat is dirty?
3. Is there a logical order to check things as opposed to taking the entire carb off and cleaning it? Really just want to get it back to my friend as quickly as possible with a full tank of gas. Could you list the steps to follow and directions on what to do?
4. If I can get the leak stopped, is there a chance the leaking fuel may have contaminated the oil? If so should I change it?

Thanks for the help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-03-12, 09:58 AM   #2  
I would start by finding out where it is leaking from. These have metal tanks and I have seen them leak from a rust spot on the bottom. If not there, then probably the carb. These rarely need parts to fix, so it might just need a cleaning. Usually you can clean the bowl and remove the needle, clean it, use a q-tip to clean the seat area, and put it back together.

Search this Thread